Fixed vs hydraulic jack plate

I am thinking about getting a 2020 Skeeter ZX225 it comes with a fixed 12" jackplate. I am thinking about upgrading it to a hydraulic jack plate. I was wondering if I go with a 10" or a 8" Hydraulic jack plate would it be a big difference vs a 12" Hydraulic jack plate? I noticed the new Falcons come with a 6" hydraulic jack plate.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225
    Tempest Plus 25p prop
    112 Minn Koda Ultrex I-Piolet Link

2. Member
    Every brand recommends a certain setback and skeeter is 12”. I also believe a hydro plate is the most beneficial on skeeters

It's best to stick with the set-back that the manufacturer recommends.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

4. Member
    Always Hydraulic... get a ATLAS

5. Member
    I have had both and, to me, a lot depends on how and where you fish. The hydraulic is really good if you are fishing in shallow waters often and it certainly helps in other situations as well. For me, I am on a deep clear lake, and rarely change the settings on my hydraulic. I am picking up a new FXR today with a manual/fixed jack plate as the hydraulic just didn't give me much added benefit vs the cost.

6. Member
    I fish mostly deep water and still would never go without a hydro plate. They help with low speed handling, Can idle shallow no wake zones faster, porpoising and rough water ride. I use it more for those reasons than anything else. For example, If I want to stretch its legs out and run top end, my hydro plate needs to be around 10 on the gauge. If Im running rough water, I can burry that plate to 2-4 and it helps considerably.

I might get blasted for saying this but my FX20 came with an hydraulic JP. I rarely utilized it at all other than running it all the way up when I loaded the boat. I just never felt like I got a ton of benefit personally out of it so when I bought my new boat I did not add one. I just went with the manual. No complaints here at all and glad I saved the money.

8. Member
    I have been kicking it around on installing one on my 2019 zx225 and have been out in some rough water which seems to be more often anymore and they say for a BETTER RIDE get a hydraulic jack plate you won't go wrong , so hoping to see if it's a good thin g.

Hyd. Jack all the way!
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus