No running lights

I had not had my Lund in the water for some time, until today. Last time I towed it, everything worked fine. This morning, I didn't have running lights. Brakes and turn signals work fine, just no running lights. On the way to and from the lake, if I took a turn and could see one side marker light, I'd switch the headlights on and occasionally the side marker light would come on very dimly but the next time, it wouldn't come on at all.

To me, this has all the earmarks of a bad ground wire somewhere. All system on the truck work fine and no fuses blown. Again, brakes and turn signals work fine, just no running lights. When I got home, I checked the main ground wire that attaches to the trailer...took it off, wire brushed everything, put di-electrical grease on everything and reassembled...no help.

Any suggestions before I start tearing into the wiring harness of the truck and trailer?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Doesn’t sound like a ground issue to me. The ground at the tongue would affect all lights on the trailer. The lights are grounded individually at the fixture. My guess is a connector problem or a chewed up brown wire.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Banned
    Is your tow rig a 2019 GMC/Chevy 1500 with the advanced trailering package by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Is your tow rig a 2019 GMC/Chevy 1500 with the advanced trailering package by chance?
    Nope. 1993 Chevy Suburban.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Doesn’t sound like a ground issue to me. The ground at the tongue would affect all lights on the trailer. The lights are grounded individually at the fixture. My guess is a connector problem or a chewed up brown wire.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

6. Member
    I have same issue going on 2014 Silverado, intermittent blowing 20a fuse in truck. Soon as I get a chance we are going to unhook one side of the running lights on trailer and drive for awhile. Then do the other side to see if we can find out which side is causing issue. Then just may have to run new wire. I am sure it is rubbing somewhere and blowing fuse.
    2019 Crestliner PT 20 - Mercury 200 Pro XS 4s - Columbus, OH

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Jiggle the pigtail wile hooked up and see if that's it.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    Jiggle the pigtail wile hooked up and see if that's it.
    I jiggled the crap out of the pigtail on the boat and on the truck...didn't make a difference. Also, I checked all fuses in the truck and they are all good.

9. Member
    Try spreading the male pins on the flat connector, shoot them all with WD-40 and try that first it's easy. There are splits on the pins that a tiny screwdriver will spread out.
    Jeff, at this time it sounds brown wire connected rather than ground.

10. Member
    "There are splits on the pins that a tiny screwdriver will spread"

Never thought of that - Thanks !
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

My marker lights were ground out on trailer. Tape behind the pos metal and the trailer showed me the problem.
    Life is kinda hard but it's
    better than the other options .. er ..option !