worth buying 1st gen MG tour pro?

I'm in the process of slowly saving up for a new trolling motor. I'm hoping to get it next spring before my fishing season starts. I was really hoping that one of the new motors that came out at ICast would be more affordable ($1500) but wound up disappointed when they debuted the prices. Because of my style of fishing (shallow water, lots of stuff to run into) I have determined that the MG Tour Pro is the motor I'd like to get. However, I'm just not sure about buying a trolling motor in its first gen form. It almost always seems that there are bugs to work out and issues that pop up with anything that is brand new. Anyway, just wanting to get some opinions from you guys as to whether you would hesitate (or flat out refuse) to get a new trolling motor (Lowrance, Garmin, or MG) before it's been proven over time by thousands of anglers? Or would you feel that the R&D and testing the company has done in-house and by the pro fishermen would be enough to make you feel comfortable with the purchase?

2. Banned
    MG Digital Tour 24v or 36v are excellent motors. Best motors MG ever made, in my opinion at least. I run a 24v 80lb thrust digital tour on my BC Puma and that motor takes that boat where ever I wanna go. I even bought another one, Jones had one laying around for sale and had it basically 100% rebuilt to include cosmetics. You will not be disappointed.

If you fish shallow, I wouldn't buy one of the spotlock style motors. You can save a ton buying a regular trolling motor. The spotlock shines out deep, but if I mainly ran the banks, I wouldnt buy one.

4. Banned
    I ordered a Lowrance and am willing to be the lab rat since it has a 3 year warranty, my buddy ordered a MG Tour Pro. We realize the gamble of first gen models; but we can both afford the cost if it ends up being a mistake.

Now if I was scraping and saving, then I’d tell you to wait until it has some time for real world users to report back. One thing that scares me with the Tour Pro is that you see absolutely nobody using one. I know there were at least a few guys running the Lowrance for the last couple months.

If i were you, I’d wait. I’m going to send you a PM later.

5. Banned
    I thought you were talking about buying one the original motor guide tours not a new ones. I misread your statement.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    If you fish shallow, I wouldn't buy one of the spotlock style motors. You can save a ton buying a regular trolling motor. The spotlock shines out deep, but if I mainly ran the banks, I wouldnt buy one.
    I do fish shallow the vast majority of the time. And several of the lakes that I fish are trolling motor only lakes. I also fish the Mississippi River several times a year. I want a motor with spot lock for a few reasons...being able to stay in a spot after catching a fish (instead of being blown by the wind either into the shore or away from the area), maintaining my spot when fishing current, and not getting blown around when re-tying or searching through my tackle. I also like the digital assist steering because I can point the boat in a direction and not have to worry about the torque of the motor causing the motor to turn, especially on higher speeds. I realize there may be times when the noise from the motor while using spot lock may spook fish, but hopefully it helps me much more than it hurts me when I'm fishing.

7. Banned

8. Member
    I can't help on the specs of the Motorguide, but looks like it's going to be a good motor. The short video is impressive. Motorguide service has not received any information on this motor for me to pass on. Their supervisors are at Attwood today learning about the motor. I can tell you that I fish shallow water with the Ultrex and like the spotlock for things as you say -- keeping you in place while you're doing something else. With any of the spotlock trolling motors, no matter the water depth, you'll never hear someone say, take over the front while I .......
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I can't help on the specs of the Motorguide, but looks like it's going to be a good motor. The short video is impressive. Motorguide service has not received any information on this motor for me to pass on. Their supervisors are at Attwood today learning about the motor. I can tell you that I fish shallow water with the Ultrex and like the spotlock for things as you say -- keeping you in place while you're doing something else. With any of the spotlock trolling motors, no matter the water depth, you'll never hear someone say, take over the front while I .......
    John
    Very true...and it's pretty hard to have someone else take over the front when you're fishing alone

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I ordered a Lowrance and am willing to be the lab rat since it has a 3 year warranty, my buddy ordered a MG Tour Pro. We realize the gamble of first gen models; but we can both afford the cost if it ends up being a mistake.

Now if I was scraping and saving, then I’d tell you to wait until it has some time for real world users to report back. One thing that scares me with the Tour Pro is that you see absolutely nobody using one. I know there were at least a few guys running the Lowrance for the last couple months.

If i were you, I’d wait. I’m going to send you a PM later.
    Very good advice and well thought out
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Very true...and it's pretty hard to have someone else take over the front when you're fishing alone
    Yeah, but if you're dangling your worm over the splashwell and the motor hits a stump, you might see your boat disappearing on spot lock as you tread water with one hand.

12. Member
    HA! Indeed Bill!
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180