Mission complete, it's not complete until you have a cut hand

My FIL got cleared to drive after his quadruple bypass surgery yesterday (thank you Jesus for that miracle!) and man was he excited. We went home and uncovered the Vette only to discover the battery was dead. I looked and the darn battery was the original 2011. I asked if he had ever changed it and sure enough he says no.... I swear my wife's family just doesn't believe in doing things until something is broke LOL. Since he still can't lift over 20 pounds I told him I'd swap it out this AM.

It wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be, actually easier than a boat battery...WAY easier than my boat batteries. But, I am convinced that no car, boat, or lawn mower maintenance is complete until you have at least one cut, scrape, or bruise on your hands somewhere.

Oh...while we were at Advance getting a new battery the young guy asked did his car have a dry sump. My FIL turns around and asked me of all people does HIS car have a dry sump. I told him not that I had ever seen working on it, or cleaning it. Then he asked the kid what was a dry sump. All I'll say is it must be hard to hire good help at the car parts store. Secondary who buys a Grand Sport convertible Vette, owns it for 8 years and doesn't know what they have? God Love Em...

2. Member
    So what is dry sump?

3. Member
    Valid question if the car is a manual transmission.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    So what is dry sump?
    Separate oil tank/ no conventional oil pan. Cup car's use this system also.

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    The dry sump is only on manual transmission coupes in 2011. If it has an auto trans or ragtop then it’s a wet sump LS3. That’s a fun car! The suspension of a Z06 just without the supercharger. I’m literally amazed that car lasted this long with the oem battery!

He could add a ProCharger or centrifugal supercharger and have a real badass on his hands! The GS is a great looking Vette’
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    Only dry sump I know of is that an engine doesn’t really store it’s oil supply in the oil pan. It has a holding tank for oil and an external pump to move it through the engine. This removes oil splashing around, increasing horsepower. All nascar engines use this and most round track or extreme drag race applications. Oil is sucked back into the holding tank by vacuum keeping the crankcase cover basically dry. Thus the name Dry Sump

7. Member
    It is a fun car Casslaw. It sits in the garage under cover with a tender on it most of the time. Both of us forgot to check and make sure the tender was hooked up. He must have had it out before his heart issue? It only has maybe 22,000 miles on it?

I had a 911 with a dry sump back in the day. That was also a fun car but a different beast with the engine out back. Outside of getting in and out over the door sills the Vette can be driven daily. It can be as docile as your pickup or a beast depending on how you drive it. For me, it's just climbing in and out of the darn thing LOL.

8. Member
    Sitting in the ER waiting for stitches after running a 1/2 " drill bit though the palm of my hand. So don't feel bad I wind up getting stitches about 3 to 4 times a year.
    John the Garage Doorman

9. Banned
    Ouch!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    Sitting in the ER waiting for stitches after running a 1/2 " drill bit though the palm of my hand. So don't feel bad I wind up getting stitches about 3 to 4 times a year.
    If you really put a 1/2" bit completely through your had you are gonna need more than just stitches.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    If you really put a 1/2" bit completely through your had you are gonna need more than just stitches.
    Didn't go all the way though in the soft spot between the first finger and thumb waiting on a x-ray now before they clean it up and put stitches in.
    John the Garage Doorman

Didn't go all the way though in the soft spot between the first finger and thumb waiting on a x-ray now before they clean it up and put stitches in.

Good luck. Hope it heals quick.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Sitting in the ER with a bleeding hole in one hand, and responding to posts on BBC with the other. Candy asses today could learn something from you. I bet you drove yourself to the hospital and stopped for McDonald's on the way. I salute you!
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Well i would rather be dry than wet any day

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yj99t04 View Post
    Sitting in the ER with a bleeding hole in one hand, and responding to posts on BBC with the other. Candy asses today could learn something from you. I bet you drove yourself to the hospital and stopped for McDonald's on the way. I salute you!
    I actually taped it up with a couple if paper towels and electrical tape and finished the job first. Got 5 stitches and 3 pieces of metal shavings removed. Hurts pretty good right now but it could have been worse I need to quit trying to use dull drill bits
    John the Garage Doorman

16. Member
    Yikes Doorman, hope they have you fixed up and that heals quick! In your line of work hands are pretty important.

17. Banned
    Learned something new, I thought only the 7.0s were dry sump.

18. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Well done, John.

...and Doorman; a hearty Red Green thumbs up to you as well, for finishing the job prior to seeking medical attention.

Dull tools (especially knives) are responsible for way more carnage than sharp ones.
    Who controls John Gill?