Dealer prep and freight

I ordered a brand new boat one time and when I asked what he charged for dealer prep and freight he said nothing it was a way for dealers to get more money. You would think that it would all be built into the original price of the boat.I guess every dealer is different. What’s been your experience?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    You can pay it or not pay it: i.e., it’s negotiable. Or you can [tacitly or explicitly] agree to pay it but deduct that amount from your bottom-line offer.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    It might be listed separately or rolled into the price of the boat... either way you will pay.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

4. Member
    I guess that’s why best to always negotiate OTD pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    I guess that’s why best to always negotiate OTD pricing.
    Only number that matters .

6. Member
    It would be like paying a car dealer a Doc. Fee. Remember those? Only for suckers!

Yes it is a way for paying freight cost from the manufacture and the labor involved in getting the boat off loaded and ready. Some dealers, depending on the state show it separate as it can also be taxed or not. I use to tell all my buyers, the bottom dollar out the door is the one that matters, not how it is divided up above that.
    Last edited by Boatseller; 09-12-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Freight, Prep plus TT&L is more geared to manufacturers on their national pricing and promotions. Dealers generally use their own batteries and each has their own prep regimen. Prep may include full fuel, paddle, fire extinguisher and it may not. The price of freight for some brands is consistent, some have Zone Fees and some price strictly by the mile. That is a moving target and allows dealers to recover freight fees.

Then TT&L is different per state as some states have Sales Taxes levied at the retailer, while others have Tax credits for trade values, and some just Tax you for everything. Title is the second T and that differs also with some having no fees and others having lots of Titling costs. Then some states require Licensed Dealerships to Title the boats. Which brings us to the L and that is License where the License or Register and don’t Title.

Same with Cars these days.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    there is no such thing as free freight an there is always some rigging that has to be done so it has to be paid for one way or the other.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Freight, Prep plus TT&L is more geared to manufacturers on their national pricing and promotions. Dealers generally use their own batteries and each has their own prep regimen. Prep may include full fuel, paddle, fire extinguisher and it may not. The price of freight for some brands is consistent, some have Zone Fees and some price strictly by the mile. That is a moving target and allows dealers to recover freight fees.

Then TT&L is different per state as some states have Sales Taxes levied at the retailer, while others have Tax credits for trade values, and some just Tax you for everything. Title is the second T and that differs also with some having no fees and others having lots of Titling costs. Then some states require Licensed Dealerships to Title the boats. Which brings us to the L and that is License where the License or Register and don’t Title.
    Thanks Good info

12. Member
    Sold motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and PWCs for ten years...ALL of the dealer "freight and prep" fees were 100% add on profit! ALL of it.

Even if we dropped it all and sold you a unit for $500 over dealer cost, there was still something called a holdback that was worth a certain percentage of cost we recouped from the manufacturer, on top of any other incentives to move old new stock, plus volume bonuses from the manufacturer. Negotiate MSRP, tax and license...pretend everything else doesn't exist and NEVER worry yourself about the dealer side, they're making money.

ATV’s, Snowmobiles, Motorcycles, Cars, Trucks and big industry rebates, back side monies and invoices pre-rebate are not the norm of the Bass Boat world. Bass boat companies usually don’t have massive rebates and back side, Freight is included in Zone fees on some brands, one set fee for every boat on some brands (no matter if it’s picked up) and prep exists on all bass boats to some degree. The comparison to volume sales items is quite different. Some volume sales are placed in the marine segment, though it’s split among bass boats.