Gloves for chasing pheasants?

Usually I bird hunt with bare hands here in TN. Looking for midweight to lightweight gloves for a hunt in South Dakota. I don't expect this thickness to keep my hands warm. I just want gloves that will prevent ice cold aching fingers. Thanks!

2. Member
    I chased pheasants hard in MN and IA for over 20 years, every weekend of the season. For above freezing temps, I'd wear thin trap shooting gloves, like the Bob Allen ones. Browning used to make a nice, durable pair also. When it got colder, I'd wear the insulated version of the BA glove on my non-shooting hand and the uninsulated on the shooting hand. On really cold days in the winter, it would depend on the temps. Below 0f would find me with heavy gloves on both hands, but it sure made trigger work harder. I mixed gloves a lot to have a lighter one on my shooting hand.

Hope you have a great time in SoDak.
    John

3. Member
    I would agree with jejb has told you. I found a pair of lightweight gloves with thin rough leather palm and trigger finger that worked great on my SD trips. Many times though, I found myself jerking that glove off when the dogs go down no matter what the air temp was.

4. Member
    Mechanix wear
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

5. Member
    I wear a neoprene glove on my trigger hand, nice and snug, keeps it warm, and has great traction on the gun. On those extra cold days I'll slip a hand warmer or two in there, one on top and a second in my palm if needed. On the forearm hand just any type of insulated glove with a textured palm that will grip the wood without sliding.

Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Mechanix wear
    I've gotten to where I wear these more and more for just about everything from bow hunting to duck hunting.
    2014 Nitro Z7 150 Pro XS

7. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. While in Academy a few days ago I ran across these gloves. Surprised me they fit great. I have size large hands but most fingers in large gloves are too long making it hard to handle shotgun shells. These were just right. $54.00.20190915_130508.jpg

8. Member
    Winter Golfing Glove for trigger hand.

Polypropylene glove liners with light wt deerskin gloves work for me

10. Member
    I have been bird hunting for over 30 years pretty much all over the country . The best gloves I have found are fingerless wool gloves .

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kybluebullet View Post
    I have been bird hunting for over 30 years pretty much all over the country . The best gloves I have found are fingerless wool gloves .
    When busting through thicket and heavy brush doesn't the wool material collect all the burrs and stickers you push past? I tend to use my non firing hand to move tall brush to the side as I work my way through thicket.