Thread: V8 mtr switch ?

V8 mtr switch ?

Looking at a used 250 R that came off a river racer. Guy said might need longer cables due to location of mtr terminals.
    Anyone who has rigged a BasSport need longer cables ?

Will my old lifting ring work on the new V8 ?
    Anyone using a lithium battery with new 4 stroke?
    He also has some attachments. Does anyone know what it would take to hook up helix 12 to engine on the 2019 Basport ?
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 09-09-2019 at 08:31 PM.

2. Moderator
    Your cables will work fine.
    The boat to engine harness will have to go to the rear of the engine but there are few extra feet of cable in the boat, usually wrapped up in the rear drivers side compartment.
    I only rigged two of the 250R engines before I retired but I'm pretty sure I had to use the Verado style lifting ring setup. It's hard to believe, but it's been close to a year since I rigged the last one.

Tim will know the answer to the lifting ring and Helix questions for sure.

CRS is a terrible thing. LOL

no longer need the lifting eye. I used a spare trailer safety chain I had laying around when I pulled the motor for the new jackplate.

On my boat and Jay's boat the throttle cable was short an inch or two. We both had to cut a hole in the rear compartment to get a straighter run to allow it to work. We both towed great lengths and needed to do the swap that day or we probably would have bought longer cables. Remember the throttle needs to be adjusted with a computer, so if you are bringing it in you will want to see how much extra cable you have.

If you have a merc monitor level 1 you can hook to the graph really easy. Just another T and NMEA 2000 cable. If not Tim is your guy on parts.

Can't do lithium starter with the R. The motor puts out too much voltage when running for the BMS. It could trip the BMS high voltage cutoff. When that happens your battery shuts off and then the motor shuts off. Not something you want to happen at wide open throttle. I looked into this a lot. Boat goes too fast to have to worry about that.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    So if the voltage regulator goes bad and voltage jumps up, which can happen, then the motor shuts down?

CRS is a terrible thing. LOL
    CRS-CHS-CSS..
    One year --- my how time flies. Cant believe I've been retired from FF for 10 years.

Remember the throttle needs to be adjusted with a computer,

Thanks Geoff; Did not know that, Its going to be cutting things real close to have it ready for my championship tournament.
    The motor is 640 miles away and not sure when it will get shipped out. ( will know more later today).
    Just want to be prepared as possible when it does get here. Anyone who has rigged a boat knows there is always something that will challenge you.
    So Anyone with advise please-- feel free

Another question Whats a good safe starting place for prop to pad height.. Not worried about breaking any speed records this first week. If I can run over 85 fully loaded I can pass all but another guy with a Bassport/300.
    will be running promax props have a 28- 29 30.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 09-10-2019 at 07:21 AM.

1” over is safe. Really the height you currently run is going to be safe. I have super high pressure (30’s) up to 2” over. I don’t feel I don’t need to be close to that height to be fast. 1.5”-1.625 is very fast. The speed for me falls off after that.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I set mine at 1" over for general running heavy with passengers and ran 99.34 at 1.25" last Monday with my 300R. I think you will be happy with the 250R/30 Promax most of the time! Ran Woody's single console with the 30 a few times at Clifton back in the end of April and his heavily loaded 250R ran very well.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

8. Moderator
    The new 21 Pro's come with longer throttle and shift cables. I'm sure all the 21's do actually.

Yes sir-- the new ones are plenty long . Now I know why.