Thread: 1997 200 venom

1997 200 venom

Well it’s been a while since I’ve needed the bbc gurus advice but my 22 year old baby finally let me down on day two of tourney day not her fault she ran a good life lol. Ok so running from spot to spot come down off plane she starts clacking a bit at idle I knew that wasn’t good but we fished the spot went to start her back up she idles fine but when I press the hotfoot all the way to the floor she just idles . First off I’m thinking piston or main bearing although she idles nice so I thought I would ask ,back when ,I took champs advice and upped the high speed orifice in number two cylider and I’ve always added extra oil to the fuel even though the vro is working .I was wondering if there was anything to check first ,if not where to purchase a service manual and where to buy the parts ,I’m going to have to rebuild whatever it is myself because money is definitely an issue ,I work on industrial machinery a lot so I’m willing to try whatever it takes (J200STLEUB) thanks for any and all advice pat

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    As always, check the compression.

3. Member
    Yep going to start with that tomorrow stay tuned thanks

4. Member
    I’m compression test done looking at motor from the rear top left zero all others 100 I’m pretty sure that’s number two that you had me put the up sized orifice in which I checked and it hasn’t backed out I may have just caught on the the upsized orifice a little to late the motor was ten years old when I changed it out so as I said before money is an issue so I’m giving it a go ,where to get a shop manual or some starting instructions until I get it would be appreciated if removing the head is first thing I’ll start with that thanks again pat

5. Member
    Would like to work on this all winter in the garage but the boat won’t fit , anybody have a pic of a motor stand they built to hold a beast like this thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pat6363 View Post
    Would like to work on this all winter in the garage but the boat won’t fit , anybody have a pic of a motor stand they built to hold a beast like this thanks
    Just pull the powerhead and take it in.no need to pull the motor off the boat.

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Yep, the powerhead has to come apart anyway...

8. Member
    Where do you suggest as a place to purchase a shop manual to get started pulling the powerhead or is it pretty straight forward it looks easier than the Yamaha 250 hpdi I had to pull for a friend last year

9. Member
    were some factory ones on ebay a bit ago but i think you can download off the net as well.

10. Member
    Thanks

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

12. Member
    Thank you again

13. Member
    You can use a harmonic balancer puller bolted to the flywheel with an eyebolt in the center if you don’t have the special eyebolt that the manual suggests. I bought my manual off of eBay. There are several sights to get one from @ 19.99 if my memory is correct. Go on Pinterest and you can choose which stand will work for you. That was where I found the one I built but I added rollers to mine so be sure to take in account for the added height if you decide to go that route. Hope that helps.

14. Member
    One more suggestion, take a lot of pictures! May come in handy during reassemble

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Undunn View Post
    You can use a harmonic balancer puller bolted to the flywheel with an eyebolt in the center if you don’t have the special eyebolt that the manual suggests. I bought my manual off of eBay. There are several sights to get one from @ 19.99 if my memory is correct. Go on Pinterest and you can choose which stand will work for you. That was where I found the one I built but I added rollers to mine so be sure to take in account for the added height if you decide to go that route. Hope that helps.
    You mean like this one from the stickies at the top of the forum?

16. Member
    Thanks guys I did download one from the site championman had suggested and I’m just in the process of whipping up a lifting device and of course watching endless YouTube videos on tear down lol

17. Banned
    tear down aint the problem....its the reassembly!!

18. Member
    Yep watching those next I’m used to rebuilding high speed spindles that cut to microns and your clearances and shimming have to be bang on but this is my first foray into a big out board rebuild just going to take my time read the manual and ask a lot of questions lol and we’ll see where it goes