Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    We are planning a trip next September. Some great information here.

2. dartag1829
    We did ours through a local travel agent. We booked private tours in each city. If you planning on going to the Vatican book the No Lines option. You can wait for hours to get in. Get good walking shoes and break them in. Most roads are cobble stones. Plan on Strolling with your lady after dinner. She will love it and you will get bonus points. There train system is amazing. Nothing like cruising at 140 mph.

We found the Rick Steve's places were packed because of him. You will see people walking around with his books. Plus most are really expensive.

3. Member
    All great input so far guys, thanks for sharing all the experiences! I don’t get much time away in the summer so we usually try to take a nice trip some time after the holidays and it’s ok with us if it’s the off peak less tourist time(usually much more enjoyable) and it’s typically far better weather than what we have in MN.
    We’ll start doing some research and see if we can pull something together

4. Tired of muddy water Texas Rigs N Jigs's Avatar
    My wife and I will be going this November. We are pumped.
    -----------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Stephen

2014 Bass Tracker 175TF w/ 75 Mercury

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Texas-Rigs-...11968965774371
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7...7y0GgICAVeTZww

5. Banned
    I've been to Rome, Florence and Venice. All were fantastic places and would go back in a heart beat... Dan

6. Member
    my wife and I went to Europe in July 2017 for 3 weeks
    -12 hr layover in London... did the redbus tour, went to their mall(for her) and saw changing of the guards
    -3 nights in Paris, ubered, walked and rode rented bikes everywhere... stayed 1/4 from Eiffel Tower, at nights went to the lawn of the Tower, its the place... didnt see the Louve- that was a good call too... ate Gelato
    -3 nights in Rome, same transportation... stayed 1/4 mile from the Colloseum, saw all the historic crap there is to see(fountains, vatican, etc)... ate like a king and ate Gelato
    -2 nights in Cinque Terre... its 5 little towns on the NW coast, you cant train ride or hike to each town... awesome!!! and ate Gelato
    -2 nights in Venice... walked and took their water taxi's everywhere(NO CARS IN VENICE) had Gelato
    rest of the time went up to Munich on a night-train, rented a european car and went from Germany to Switzerland to Austria and back to Munich(plenty of Gelato)
    ... like the others, I would go back in a heartbeat, we just gotta ditch the kids somehow..lol

if you want the info on any of the hotels we stayed in or stuff we did IM me
    have fun

Dang! Y'all are well traveled..no wonder the wives let y'all fish!

8. Member
    Meh...not really a fan of Italy. I prefer coastal Spain

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I’m also impressed how well traveled the group is, great feedback, lots of good information

Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    I’m also impressed how well traveled the group is, great feedback, lots of good information
    Travel is great...gives you a lot of perspective!

I have a couple guys who work for me who have never left the island... I couldn't imagine being close to 30 and having never left a 600 square mile island.

If you have extra time and there are old churches around, they are usually full of some historic stuff. I’ve never had too much time but have seen some great artwork in European churches. You’re also in for a treat at local restaurants. The Italians know how to serve dinner. Just when you think it can’t get any better.....it does!

12. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I see it often on BBC where someone is never going to this state or that state because of this or that. They have no clue how wonderful this country is state by state..All different and all wonderful. I feel blessed that the wife and I have been able to see nearly all of this country and a good bit of several others. No matter where we go and how good of time we have, after a couple weeks we get home sick. No place like home....

Dale Sinclair original

Quote Originally Posted by W.O.T View Post
    my wife and I went to Europe in July 2017 for 3 weeks
    -12 hr layover in London... did the redbus tour, went to their mall(for her) and saw changing of the guards
    -3 nights in Paris, ubered, walked and rode rented bikes everywhere... stayed 1/4 from Eiffel Tower, at nights went to the lawn of the Tower, its the place... didnt see the Louve- that was a good call too... ate Gelato
    -3 nights in Rome, same transportation... stayed 1/4 mile from the Colloseum, saw all the historic crap there is to see(fountains, vatican, etc)... ate like a king and ate Gelato
    -2 nights in Cinque Terre... its 5 little towns on the NW coast, you cant train ride or hike to each town... awesome!!! and ate Gelato
    -2 nights in Venice... walked and took their water taxi's everywhere(NO CARS IN VENICE) had Gelato
    rest of the time went up to Munich on a night-train, rented a european car and went from Germany to Switzerland to Austria and back to Munich(plenty of Gelato)
    ... like the others, I would go back in a heartbeat, we just gotta ditch the kids somehow..lol

if you want the info on any of the hotels we stayed in or stuff we did IM me
    have fun
    I notice a common theme in your days. Eating gelato. It's almost worth going back just to eat the gelato.

Pictures cannot do these places justice. The churches, colosseum, and all the other architecture are just so much more impressive in person, than they ever were in pictures.

15. Member
    From one Minnesotan to another, go to Italy. Been there 2X and it’s my favorite place on earth. It will be yours too. Don’t miss the sunset at Piazzale Michelangelo in Florence, whatever you do.

I would definitely recommend you to go to Europe if you enjoy history. My wife and I went on a Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona Spain with Royal Caribbean last May. We went to Marseille, France then to Florence/Pisa, Rome, Naples. We booked tours with the cruise line to see all the site such as Colosseum, Trevi fountain, Vatican, Leaning tower of Pisa, Amalfi Coast, and all the churches, etc.... It's well worth the trip. My wife and I are planning to do the Greek islands next.
    Dawnpatrol.
    Goin Fishing be home for Hunting Season !!!!!!!!!

17. Member
    Italy was my least favorite European country, but still worth seeing.

18. Member
    I would suggest going sooner then later... there are getting to be a lot of "new residents" from very dangerous countries in europe and I thats all I will say for now

19. Member
    Well, I think everyone has confirmed our feelings.... pricing is good right now and I think we’ve decided it’s the right time to go to Italy. I sure appreciate everyone sharing their experiences, I may be reaching out to a few of you for some details. Those going here in the next few months report back if you can and I hope you have a wonderful trip. Let the planning process begin!

We got stuck in Catania for a couple days (darn the luck). On the Saturday before Easter there was a huge outdoor open market off the main streets. There were a bunch of women making sausage and folks were buying it as fast as they could turn it out. Cheeses, veggies, the whole deal. The smell was fantastic. I got home and got into the homemade sausage thing again. Wonderful place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12