Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question I might be moving to Florida. Where's the best Bass Tournament scene?

I might be moving for work to South Florida (Orlando and south). I skimmed some of the Florida bass tournament pages but its hard for me to tell whats what.

Where are some of the best places to live that have easy access to good bass tournament waters? Is it worth living closer to Okeechobee or closer to Kissimmee? What tournaments do you fish?

2. Member
    For pure options to fish I would say the Orlando area. You are minutes from the Kissimmee Chain, Harris chain and St.Johns river and lakes. Plus you have smaller chains like Butler, Conway, Winter Park, Clermont and John's Lake. There are big tournaments every week on these lakes. Some have weekly smaller tournaments as well. Okeechobee is not a far drive from the Orlando area either.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 09-10-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    Brad Krone

3. Banned
    I'll re-visit this thread when a 'home base' is decided upon, thus far, I'm looking at a whole bunch of driving. I've been here 15 years now and these folks are the most incompetent I've ever witnessed, and it isn't just 'the aged/elderly' AARP™ members. Even the young ones suck/blow.

But some folks enjoy traffic, I'm not one of them.

4. Member
    By far you want to pick Orlando or areas relating to St. Johns River.

5. Moderator
    Thinking the town of St Cloud would be nice. Or one of the developments on Toho. Is it true that you can get to the ocean by boat from Toho? I tried following the canals on a map and don't see how it's possible.

6. Member
    Sent you a PM with my 2 cent, not knowing exactly what you are looking for.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    Thinking the town of St Cloud would be nice. Or one of the developments on Toho. Is it true that you can get to the ocean by boat from Toho? I tried following the canals on a map and don't see how it's possible.
    Yes but you have to go to Okeechobee via the Kissimmee River

Lots of gas and time required

8. Member
    Anything around Orlando, Kissimmee, St Cloud is going to be so crowded. Look into the lake county area. Harris chain is minutes away. Toho is 45 min. All the others listed about are under an hr too.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

9. Member
    I live across from Big Toho and work in downtown Orlando. The daily drive sucks but I chose to live down there because it is closer to fishing. I work 5 days but on get to fish 2 so I try and spend that time fishing and not driving.

If you move to Orange or Osceola county be prepared for HIGH insurance rates for auto. they do suck driving around here.

10. Member
    oh yeah, heres a site that list just about all the tourneys in florida.

http://www.flbasstournaments.com/

11. Moderator
    What circuits have a $200+ entry? Everything on that list seems to be $150 or less.

12. Member
    Dang a High Roller for sure
    What circuits have a $200+ entry? Everything on that list seems to be $150 or less.

13. Moderator
    Really? Most all the team circuits in Minnesota with 20+ boats are at or over $200 entry. There's even a solo circuit with a $1K entry per event and a $10K first place, but its MLF format. I prefer 5 biggest fish.

Just trying to find something similar to what I like here in Minnesota.

My personal favorite format is a $200 entry team circuit with 25-30 boats and a $1600+ first place with a TOC at the end of the year.

14. Moderator
    I think I get a formal offer next week... really need to figure out where to live and what circuit/s to join soon!

Do Florida bass tournament seasons generally follow the calendar year? Tournament seasons are much different in MN because the lakes are froze over for 4-5 months of the year. Most tournaments here start in June with TOC in September or October, then its done for year.

15. Member
    Most clubs are year round. A few take off July And August because it's so damn hot. Most clubs are team format 20 to 40 boats. Entry vary from $50 to $80 per tournament. Opens and trails vary. Some are team some are draw. Entrys are slightly higher.
    Brad Krone

16. Member
    So are you looking to fish single or team events?
    Central Fl. is the best area.

17. Banned
    Then the $5.00/guy + $1.00 BigFish out at Lake Rousseau on Tuesdays is out...

18. Member
    Put Mt. Dora on your list of places to check out

19. Member
    You spend more overall in entries though. We can fish 365 or find a tournament 52 weekends a year. Minnesota your fishing what a good 6 months a year. In the right location with daylight savings you may be able to fish a 4 or tournaments a week here. Might be small
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

20. Moderator
    Interesting. I've found plenty of tournaments but I wish there were a better way to see them all. A list of tournament names with no information on entry, payout, number of boats, etc isn't very helpful and it takes a ton of time to click into the 100+ circuits and scour for details.

Anyways, I think BFL or Bassmaster Opens might be where I place my focus. Or maybe I'll need to cut my teeth in some smaller tournaments first. I've never fished Florida waters but dominated Southern Minnesota this year and I'm looking for something bigger. I'll likely get my ass handed to me but thats okay. Great way to learn IMO.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast