2011 Optimax Pro XS Starting/idling issues

Outboard is a 2011 Pro XS, serial number 1B804305. Boat is a 2011 Nitro Z7 with hot foot.

Purchased the boat about a month ago and all was well until recently.

Problem - if you simply turn the key to the start position the engine will not start. If you hold the key in the start position for a few extra seconds it will start and continue to run until you put the key in the run position. The other way we discovered to get it started is to apply throttle. If you apply throttle and turn the key to the start position it fires right up and will continue to run so long as you keep the rpm’s over 1500 or so. Any lower and it will die.

I have replaced the fuel filter and plugs. Gapped the plugs prior to installing. Checked the kill switch and flipped the switch a few times as well. Checked the fuses on starboard side of motor.

What should be be my next steps?

2. Member
    confused not spin or will not continue to stay running as in dies when under 1500 , check 3.0L section also for this mtr
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    In case anyone else has this problem...mine ended up being broken reeds. Mercury apparently had a recall on certain ones and mine was one of them.