Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What happens when you get your rod wet?

I don’t think it is good for a rod and I know that some people dip their rods so I wanted to know from
    them if it decreases the longevity of the rod? Paul Elias used to do it a lot but he had sponsors that could easily replace a rod or put an extra coat on it.

2. Member
    It usually makes it easier to slip in.

Do you have any rigs with braided line? If so, your rod gets wet. I have one that I have been running braid on for 25 years. Still functions like it did the day I got it. Thousands of fish caught on it. In short, no issues what so ever.

3. Member
    Ever fished in the rain?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DL07 View Post
    Ever fished in the rain?
    I don’t submerge my rods no and if it’s a heavy downpour I usually let it pass ..

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Up here, in the spring, we may have 2 or 3 tournaments in a row in which it rains all day. Or I’m fishing on the main lake on Erie and taking water over the bow with every wave. I have 4 G Loomis rods that are 25+ years old and still going strong. I’d hate to guess how many times they’ve been soaked. The finish starts looking a little cloudy when these rods are totally soaked, but as soon as they dry out they look as good as new.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Up here, in the spring, we may have 2 or 3 tournaments in a row in which it rains all day. Or I’m fishing on the main lake on Erie and taking water over the bow with every wave. I have 4 G Loomis rods that are 25+ years old and still going strong. I’d hate to guess how many times they’ve been soaked. The finish starts looking a little cloudy when these rods are totally soaked, but as soon as they dry out they look as good as new.
    Thnaks , that’s good to hear.
    We were shop talking and we inconclusive on if the moisture reduces the life of the rod.

It does nothing to them to harm the longevity of the rod as stated above I have rods that are ild and have been in rain, snow and there is no issues with them at all

I would be more concerned about effects from UV. Was talking with a neighbor the other day and one of his favorite rods is one he snagged from the bottom of the lake. Washed it and has been using it for years with no problems.

9. Member
    There is a lot more to it, but calculations can be made. Generally, I use .25 fishing hours lost from the life of the rod for every 3 times it gets completely wet.

10. Member
    So ask yourself how many times have you EVER heard about a Rod failing due to being wet, soaked or whatever?????
    My experience is that I have never ever heard a person complain about a water soaked rod, UNLESS, it was a bamboo pole
    that we used years ago as a kid....then it just got heavier.....

Now, I have seen Rod's fail due to bad construction and hanging a lure in a tree and yanking too hard with braided line to pull it free.

I had the tip of a G Loomis GLX break casting a 1 ounce football jig....

A rod is constantly getting water on it from the line. Ever seen the cloud of mist on a cast? All lines have some water on them.
    If you don't believe that, fish in 25 degree air and watch your guides freeze up with ice a few times.....

I put this out there as when I first saw your post I thought you were trolling the BBC....and you still maybe are :) lol
    Last edited by Squire; 09-09-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    There is a lot more to it, but calculations can be made. Generally, I use .25 fishing hours lost from the life of the rod for every 3 times it gets completely wet.
    Is there an "app" for that?

12. Banned
    Is this a serious post??? Lol

13. Member
    Someone catch that bug.

I get excited for a minute then clam down .

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    I get excited for a minute then clam down .
    I resemble this remark!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post

But You make it 'back' in TheEnd™...

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~ Babylonian Proverb

I would've typed that in ancient Akkadian but nobody would get it....

17. Member
    Well this is new lol. I think its impossible to fish in any way without getting water on the rod. In no way do and it seems like others think that it hinders the longevity or performance of a rod from getting wet.

18. Member
    Well maybe i could have worded the question better and I can attest to that
    but it’s not about the rod getting wet under normal circumstances but abnormal circumstances like kneeling and reeling.
    Sorry for the confusion

19. Member
    This can't be a serious post.

20. Member
    Lol, fair weather fisherman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast