Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Um, make a few casts to dry it off????

2. Banned
    Serious note my brother caught a very nice rod/reel combo a few years back on a jig lol. The reel was shot, but the rod was a really nice shimano rod. He cleaned it up and it’s one of his favorite rods today. Hell it looked like it had been laying on the bottom of the lake over a year. Doesn’t seemed to have hurt it all.
    Last edited by catch5; 09-11-2019 at 07:56 PM.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Just remember that if you shake it more than twice, you're playing with it.

Sunlight does more damage to a rod than water. Seal the cork with U40. The rest of the rod is impervious to water if it’s of decent quality.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Sunlight does more damage to a rod than water. Seal the cork with U40. The rest of the rod is impervious to water if it’s of decent quality.
    did all my rods with u 40 this winter what a difference this season cork still looks like new love that stuff

6. Member
    i would probably need to recheck to make sure i was in the right house.

7. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Well I "thought" there where no stupid questions......I stand corrected

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

This has to be one of the craziest questions i have ever heard.

9. Member
    I always heard that being to dry it becomes brittle, so I store mine in the shower with it on warm.
    Praying for a Cure

10. Member
    The OP must be trolling and if so, he has a limit. I do not believe he is being serious.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    The OP must be trolling and if so, he has a limit. I do not believe he is being serious.

I think he was, but I think people took his question out of the context that he intended it. Pretty typical of BBC members though.

12. Member
    I think I understood him. He believes water shortens the life of a rod and he further stated he would wait out storms so his rods didn't get wet. He used Paul Elias as an example of dipping a rod in water while crankin. To me, he's either trolling, high, or totally confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I think he was, but I think people took his question out of the context that he intended it. Pretty typical of BBC members though.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    I think I understood him. He believes water shortens the life of a rod and he further stated he would wait out storms so his rods didn't get wet. He used Paul Elias as an example of dipping a rod in water while crankin. To me, he's either trolling, high, or totally confused.

Right, but did anyone really think about what could happen to a rod when submerged and if it filled with water? There’s not a lot of items in the world that can withstand being saturated for long periods of times. But anyways, I don’t think it would ever hurt one, but I won’t make fun of someone for asking either though.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Right, but did anyone really think about what could happen to a rod when submerged and if it filled with water? There’s not a lot of items in the world that can withstand being saturated for long periods of times. But anyways, I don’t think it would ever hurt one, but I won’t make fun of someone for asking either though.

I was serious.
    I mentioned the kneel and reel as it is a technique that people use still to this day.
    You think its odd that I dont fish in the rain and thats your opinion, I think its odd that people will smoke in the rain.. my opinion
    The question was asked to see if water reduce the life of a rod or in someway caused damage much in the same way as someone mentioned UV rays
    I dont leave my rods in my truck during the summer months because I think it gets way too hot. nor do i Store my rods in my boat for extended periods of time
    I have rod racks in the house and only put them in the boat before I head out. Some people actually answered the question or understood what I tried to say
    and for that I am appreciative. Thanks

Musky fishing I along with almost everyone else put at least 2' of the top in the water for 10 seconds on every cast all day. Sometimes all 8' for several minutes multiple times a day. No one has ever brought forward concerns of water damage other than smacking rocks with the tip of a 10'6" rod in 8' of water
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    I was serious.
    I mentioned the kneel and reel as it is a technique that people use still to this day.
    You think its odd that I dont fish in the rain and thats your opinion, I think its odd that people will smoke in the rain.. my opinion
    The question was asked to see if water reduce the life of a rod or in someway caused damage much in the same way as someone mentioned UV rays
    I dont leave my rods in my truck during the summer months because I think it gets way too hot. nor do i Store my rods in my boat for extended periods of time
    I have rod racks in the house and only put them in the boat before I head out. Some people actually answered the question or understood what I tried to say
    and for that I am appreciative. Thanks
    You’re a little paranoid. I get it. It’s ok. My dad is the same way. Lol.

I kick back, smoke a ciggarette and fall asleep
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DL07 View Post
    Ever fished in the rain?
    Best reply in this thread
    HMC USN RET
    2022 Falcon F195/Merc 200 and all the goodies I could get on it.

19. Member
    I cannot believe this has three pages of replies. Rather it’s a serious post or not, it’s borderline ridiculous. Your worried about your rods getting ruined because they get wet, in the unlikely case you ever get to the point to where your rod is ruined from being wet, go buy new rods 20 years from now, about the same time you have to replace your boat because it got wet.
    Last edited by itsahog; 09-19-2019 at 07:15 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    I was serious.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast