Tracker valve failure

300XS 1E 053049
    Yesterday I was out fishing stopped at a spot engine running perfect. Idled about a 1/4 mile fished 1/2 hour. Took off engine running perfect got to the next spot. Shut down engine running really bad idle up and down missing. Hum seems like I have been here before. Put it on the trailer got home found fuel in the air side of the fuel rail. Yep tracker valve. Removed it found it torn right near the center metal part just like the last one. I had a spare because of all the talk of multiple failures. Installed it. Runs nice again.
    185 hours on engine. Seems unusual to me. So what else should I be checking. Air pressure? Fuel pressure? Don’t use ethanol fuel. Do use premium fuel as that’s what my engine requires. Anything in the operation of the engine that can cause repeat failures?

2. Member
    Are you using the latest purple diaphragms?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They've been purple for a long time now (years).

They do sometimes fail. Replace and motor on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Mine went out at 80 hrs. Now I have 170 hrs. How hard was it to change and where is it located?
    Don Blume

2018 Ranger Z520C
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro XS 2B525775 2-Stroke

Past Rigs
    2008 Triton Tr186 with Mercury 175 Pro XS
    2000 Ranger R73 with Mercury 125
    1976 Basscat with 150 Mercury

5. Member
    nothing to it , side of stb fuel rail , some do it on mtr slide rail back away from head remove DI harness terminals for ease , some remove rail complete and do it on bench ,some repeated failures are common
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Easy to replace. It’s located on the starboard fuel rail. I only took the 4 bolts out of the cover and replaced it. It’s tricky but if you set it in place put the spring and cover on hold it in place while an assistant starts and snugs up 2 bolts in opposite corners don’t tighten until all bolts are snug. Yeah it purple.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nice part is there's nothing that requires calibration with a tracker valve.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor