Trailer Brake Pad replacement frequency???

I have a 2004 Marine master tandem axle trailer and have never replaced the brake pads. They don't appear to be worn out and still have pad thickness, however the last couple of years it doesn't seem as thought the trailer braking is working well. How often should a person change the brake pads on these? Is it like a car where there is no need to replace until they are almost totally worn out, or should it be done after so many years regardless of remaining pad thickness?

If its that old chances are your brakes aren't even working. I would think every 5 or 6 years for pads unless you never use it.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. mikesxpress
    Agree with Butch. That trailer should have went thru a couple sets of pads by now if the brake system was working correctly. Or you just don't use it?

My pads are original on my 2006 trailer. I only drive 12 miles to the ramp that I use and my brakes work.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Unless the pads are gone, they should still brake fine. I’m betting you have other problems. Low brake fluid would be the first guess.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Thanks for the input guys. I'll check the brake fluid to confirm the level is okay. Last time I checked (prob a year ago) the fluid level was fine. As far as how much I use my boat/trailer, not as much as I'd like to. I bought this rig brand new back in 2004 (TR196 with 200 Opti), and even though it's 15 years old, I only have 131 hours on the engine. That is a bit deceiving though regarding the trailer use though, because every spring I take a long trip down south (Lake Eufaula for most of those years), and for the past 5 years Lake Fork TX. So there is more use on the trailer than boat. I'm estimating that I probably have 35,000 to 40,000 miles on the trailer at the most. I know for sure that the trailer brakes don't work like they used to because it was noticeable to me a few years ago. I remember hitting my brakes and then when letting off before accelerating, I could feel the trailer actually braking behind the truck for a brief second before the tongue would pull forward and release. I'll check the fluid and go ahead and replace the pads. Sounds like it's way past time. I just didn't think about those wearing out due to the low amount of hours I have on my boat/engine. I am also wondering if maybe I need to flush/bleed the lines and calipers and get the old fluid out and replace? I have never done that either. I am sure that would be a real PITA to do.

7. Scraps
    Yeah, I'd check to see that your brakes are actually working. My three year old MM, brakes only apply on one side of the trailer which is really weird.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Oddly enough, If the trailer sits a lot and doesn't get much use makes it more likely that things are frozen up and not working like they are supposed to. Yes, I would recommend bleeding the brakes after you change the shoes. Good time to check those bearings and seals while you have it apart.
    Quick way to test the brakes. Disconnect the brake light plug and try to back up. Disc brakes will lock up immediately if the reverse light isn't engaged.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

I never replaced the pads on my 1991 Ranger trailer in the 10 years I had it. Same for my 2001 Ranger...never replaced those pads in the 14 years I had that rig. Both still had plenty of pad thickness when the boats were sold. If your trailer isn't braking well, it's likely something else, rather than the pads.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments