Tilt n trim kick up

The issue I have is my motor kicks up in reverse and will not trim down when coming off plain so the boat gets loose at high speeds when the hull bites. No air in system and fresh fluid. I’m sure it’s in the valve body but I’m looking for feed back and maybe and simple fix. Johnson 225 fast strike tnt

2. Member
    DUMB thought, but ... have you checked the manual relief valve to ensure it is closed all the way? Maybe under the load - the way you're describing it - could be affecting the 'tilt' rams, the the 'trim' rams push the OB out/up.

3. Member
    Yes I’ve checked it for tightness and I also thought about pulling it out to look at the o rings but haven’t done it.

4. Banned
    kicks up in reverse---could be the o-ring on the manual release valve is missing or torn. Not sure about not being able to trim down?

5. Member
    I will be so happy if it’s just the o ring. But I can have a buddy trim down and I can grab the lower unit and pull the motor up with no resistance from the hydraulics. When I lift it up one of the cylinders pulls in. It’s probably something stupid that’s super expensive

6. Banned
    Pull the valave and check the o-ring. you'll know in 5 minutes if thats the issue. I went through this a year ago. super easy, and cheap to fix. If I remember right, if the valve is bad, a new one is like $100. Luckily, the o-ring was missing on mine

7. Member
    Will do thanks for the input

8. Member
    Problem solved. Was missing an the small o ring.