Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Garmin GPSMAP 1242 Touch or EchoMAP Ultra 126sv

Having trouble deciding between the 2 to run at bow for Livescope

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Ok, let's see if this helps you decide: Guys like to record the Livescope and post videos or for whatever reason. With the GPSMap series, you can record with the AC app direct to your phone, while with the Ultra, you can not record. You would have to use your phone/camera/gopro, etc. and hold it up to the screen.

And for future thoughts, you can only network each with its own kind, in other words, GPSmap with GPSmap and Echomap to Echomap.....tid bit of info in case you would decide to go all Garmin....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I am pondering the same decision. I am leaning towards the Ultra.
    I may like the UHD in these shallow Texas lakes, and I have a 93sv+ I would have to sell if I get the GPSmap.

4. Member
    I was on the Garmin website comparing the specs between the two.
    Both show to support sonar recording.
    So the Ultra will not record Livescope?

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    They can record traditional sonar and you can review that on the the Home Port program but to record the Livescope directly from unit to AC app, no the Ultra units can not.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    10-4

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Love my 1242 with gt 30 also have a 106 with uhd don't care much for the touch screen.

8. Member
    Do you just don’t like touch or it doesn’t work good...?

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Touch works great never a problem ,with that said its just easier for me to use the knob it seems faster, but that could be in my mind
    Havent noticed much of a difference between the gt 30 and uhd on the 106 other than the 30 will get 200 feet plus and uhd will only get 50-60 feet on side scan.

10. FLW Tour Pro
    Just for running livescope it would really be a wash!.....Now if you plan on using for other things, or linking to another unit then you have decisions to make. Echo series only link to the same series. GPSmap series only link to GPSmap series.
    If your planning on putting one on the back of boat to run for scanning I would suggest the ultra series. It is compatible with the 54 series transducer which is the best all around transducer at the moment. If you are just using it for a Livescope monitor then you could go with the 1222 and save a bunch of money.

11. Member
    1242... I installed a 1242xsv non-touch g3 just for livescope, and it was a fantastic decision. I like my other touch units, but the non-touch unit processes as quickly as you hit the buttons. Touch units are not always that way.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Ok, let's see if this helps you decide: Guys like to record the Livescope and post videos or for whatever reason. With the GPSMap series, you can record with the AC app direct to your phone, while with the Ultra, you can not record. You would have to use your phone/camera/gopro, etc. and hold it up to the screen.

And for future thoughts, you can only network each with its own kind, in other words, GPSmap with GPSmap and Echomap to Echomap.....tid bit of info in case you would decide to go all Garmin....
    And not all GPSmap's network properly with other GPSmap's, depending on series of GPSman. For instance, if you network a 7600 series with a xx41 or xx42 series you can only share sonar, waypoints will not be shared.

Garmin made this a lot more complicated than it needs to be, and there isn't any information or indication on their website letting consumers know of the shortcomings.

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Just did some recordings from my captain app to my phone today very cool to look back and zoom way in on my phone

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Just did some recordings from my captain app to my phone today very cool to look back and zoom way in on my phone
    And you done that on the app and from your 1242 or a diff unit?

15. Member
    Which units are fully compatible? I thought all gpsmap units could share everything.

have one 7600 been thinking about getting a second gpsmap unit. Would be a real kick in the shorts if i spent $2k on a unit and cant even share waypoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    And not all GPSmap's network properly with other GPSmap's, depending on series of GPSman. For instance, if you network a 7600 series with a xx41 or xx42 series you can only share sonar, waypoints will not be shared.

Garmin made this a lot more complicated than it needs to be, and there isn't any information or indication on their website letting consumers know of the shortcomings.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    Which units are fully compatible? I thought all gpsmap units could share everything.

have one 7600 been thinking about getting a second gpsmap unit. Would be a real kick in the shorts if i spent $2k on a unit and cant even share waypoints.
    I'll talk to my Garmin rep tomorrow...I thought a software update corrected that....but I could be wrong.

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    1242 recorded from

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gford View Post
    I'll talk to my Garmin rep tomorrow...I thought a software update corrected that....but I could be wrong.
    Nope. I have a 7608xsv and 741xs networked. I can only share transducers. I have to use an SD card to move waypoints.

It'd be nice if they put up a spreadsheet showing which features are networkable between models.

19. Member
    I think Riccochet is only partially correct about incompatibilities. There are some well known compatibility issues with some older discontinued units working with Panoptix and LiveScope. We also know that echomaps and GPSMAP don't share. I'm pretty sure the 10x2 and 12x2 units share waypoints and maps via ethernet with other GPSMAP units. Right now I am having an issue with my maps on the 8616 sharing to a 1242 but I think that is a temporary issue that just hasn't been worked out yet. The only xx41 units I know of are the older 741xs and I've never used one so there may be an issue there.

We probably need Todd to clarify this. The spreadsheet is a great idea.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post

Apparently you, as well as me, will need another 7600/8600 series to share waypoints via ethernet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast