Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I think Riccochet is only partially correct about incompatibilities. There are some well known compatibility issues with some older discontinued units working with Panoptix and LiveScope. We also know that echomaps and GPSMAP don't share. I'm pretty sure the 10x2 and 12x2 units share waypoints and maps via ethernet with other GPSMAP units. Right now I am having an issue with my maps on the 8616 sharing to a 1242 but I think that is a temporary issue that just hasn't been worked out yet. The only xx41 units I know of are the older 741xs and I've never used one so there may be an issue there.

We probably need Todd to clarify this. The spreadsheet is a great idea.
    I have a 7608xsv and 741xs.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    I have a 7608xsv and 741xs.
    You may be dead on about sharing waypoints between those two, from what I've read. I don't remember the previous posts on this but I do remember some discussion about it. It is an older unit, but the manual does say that it shares waypoints, tracks and routes via the Garmin Marine Network with "compatible devices". I would have thought the same as you, that other GPSMAP units would be compatible devices. The 741xs is also limited in functionality with ActiveCaptain on the User Data Sync. Tough situation as it looks like Gamin has done as much as they can on the software for that unit so that it works with the Helm function on AC. Sorry, but I don't see your situation changing for that unit.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 09-15-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    How hard can it be to share a file with a list of coordinates on it? Even if they used different formats or file types garmin could surely do this if they wanted to.

I recall seeing something on using the brown and blue nmea 0183 wires for sharing waypoints with older echomap units. Can this be done here?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    How hard can it be to share a file with a list of coordinates on it? Even if they used different formats or file types garmin could surely do this if they wanted to.

I recall seeing something on using the brown and blue nmea 0183 wires for sharing waypoints with older echomap units. Can this be done here?
    It's not hard considering .GPX format is universal across pretty much every make/model of GPS device out there.

And, no, as far as I know the 0183 method only worked on certain Echomap models. Like pre-chirp and chirp models, but not the plus models.

Sad part is they only stopped selling the 741xs less than 2 years ago. Yeah, it came out in 2013, but there was a couple years of overlap with the 7600 series. And, from what I understand, in the original firmwares for the 741 it in fact DID share waypoints over the marine network with 7600 series plotters. The functionality was removed when they released the 742xs and a new firmware for it.

5. Member
    Sure some weird stuff going on. I just fixed the map sharing from the 8616 to the 1242. ActiveCaptain card had it screwed up. But then I decided to look on the 942xs (a different xs than Riccochet's 741xs). No map sharing for it. All have latest software. All three units have different internal maps, but all the 942xs displays is its own internal maps, with our without the AC card being used.

Off the subject-yes. I know Riccochet is talking about waypoints. Just saying it seems like the problem is bigger than that.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Banned
    Sure some weird stuff going on. I just fixed the map sharing from the 8616 to the 1242. ActiveCaptain card had it screwed up. But then I decided to look on the 942xs (a different xs than Riccochet's 741xs). No map sharing for it. All have latest software. All three units have different internal maps, but all the 942xs displays is its own internal maps, with our without the AC card being used.

Off the subject-yes. I know Riccochet is talking about waypoints. Just saying it seems like the problem is bigger than that.
    It does seem rather shitty that people pay extra for the added features of a "GPSmap" unit only to have issues working with other GPSmap units. Or, in my case, what seems like planned obsolescence.

This isn't some new networking technology. It's ethernet. It's been around for decades. Get your shit together Garmin.

I bet I could dev up an interface module from a Raspberry Pi. Hack their network to make everything work as it should regardless of which unit you have. I'd bet a month pay that the Garmin Network is not encrypted at all.

7. Member
    I have to agree with winchester there is something odd here. My current setup is a 7612xsv and 1040xs. It will share sonar, and even my ultra card between the two, it surely must be made to share waypoints. On my system if i make waypoint 10 on my 1040 then go to the 7612 and make a waypoint it will be waypoint 11, then back to the 1040 its waypoint 12. So it appears the units can see each other to some degree but do not display the points from the other unit.

Maybe theres some trick to making this work?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    I'd bet a month pay that the Garmin Network is not encrypted at all.
    You might lose on that.

Regarding compatibility across all GPSMAP units, Support is working on updating their related FAQs to address this. Once complete, I will reply with the link.
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Banned
    You might lose on that.
    I highly doubt they'd put the time and effort in to encrypting a private wired network. Most wired networks are not encrypted.

I too am a little overwhelmed with the plethora of Garmin units. Trying to justify a larger head unit than the 9" that they're offering with the combo package for using the scope, but I dont have much room on my small boat for multiple units on the bow. Was thinking of having the scope on the front with the included ducer for scanning and sonar on the rear so I can scan and scope from the front and put my Mega bird at the helm for scanning. Its strange, but the only difference in the 1222 and the 1242 is integrated topo maps? Isthis the same as a Navionics card only built in?

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Have you used the "Compare" feature to compare them to each other?? That can help comparing features. Looks like the mapping is the only difference.

Here are the two you speak of with the comparsion: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cata...Product=561739
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Have you used the "Compare" feature to compare them to each other?? That can help comparing features. Looks like the mapping is the only difference.

Here are the two you speak of with the comparsion: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cata...Product=561739
    have not seen that. Is there a big difference in the resolution (real world) between just the reso numbers for the 9, 10 and 12" ? Thanks for the link

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammmerhead View Post
    have not seen that. Is there a big difference in the resolution (real world) between just the reso numbers for the 9, 10 and 12" ? Thanks for the link
    Their GPS Maps and the ULTRA 10/12 inch models have a significantly better resolution than the echo plus 9. Also consider the screen aspect ratio between the 10” Echo Ultra and the GPS Map 10. The Echo Ultra is 1/2 inch taller and a bit narrower than the GPS Map 1042. Doesn’t seem like much but if you use Panoptix or Live Scope deep, 1/2 an inch in height makes a significant difference. That 1/2 inch can help you or hurt you when you split your screen. People coming over from Lowrance would appreciate the Echo Ultra 10 aspect ratio. Back in the day, that was the deciding factor for me going Lowrance instead of Hummingbird. I preferred a height over the mega width of the HB.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

15. Member
    Debating whether to sell my 1042’s and completely switch out and upgrade to ultras...what would be the biggest thing I’d be gaining switching to ultras or keeping the XSV’s and just adding another 10” and 12” keeping the GT30 transducer? Thanks for any help!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gc7716 View Post
    Debating whether to sell my 1042’s and completely switch out and upgrade to ultras...what would be the biggest thing I’d be gaining switching to ultras or keeping the XSV’s and just adding another 10” and 12” keeping the GT30 transducer? Thanks for any help!
    Planned obsolescence. I see Garmin streamlining the Echo Map line right now. A whole new lineup in my opinion. I believe the longevity/support will be superior on the Ultras.The GPS Map line is a mess right now. There are many known networking/ compatibility issues and that’s a red flag for me. It’s very hard to figure out where they are going with the GPS Map lineup right now. I’m invested in the GPS Map lineup right now and in the market for another 12. My gut tells me the 12/10/9x2 line Is in jeopardy. Note that the new GPS Map Ultras only got the polarized screen but no UHD Transducer port. There is surely more stuff coming and it doesn’t seem likely Garmin would make a black box to accommodate the non UHD GPS Maps. I’m holding tight until the dust settles.

17. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Not everyone likes touch and the non touch units work much better in all conditions is what I have found plus I don’t have finger prints all over the screen.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Not everyone likes touch and the non touch units work much better in all conditions is what I have found plus I don’t have finger prints all over the screen.
    I can’t keep my non touch screen clean as it is. I can only imagine what it’d look like if it were touch lol. Also, wet fingers and touch screens have never been a winning combo for me. I just hope they keep the non touch lineup alive while they’re doing their streamlining.

19. Member
    People have different preferences. I prefer the touch units. I also prefer the GPSMAP units. Yes, part of the prefishing prep is to clean the screen and I do it every trip. With the GPSMAP units and Smartmode options I do very little screen touching. I already have my preferred settings saved in the combo. It's really not a big deal though. If none of the settings were saved it wouldn't take that long at the ramp to set everything. I like the convenience though and it must makes the whole experience for enjoyable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post
    The GPS Map line is a mess right now. There are many known networking/ compatibility issues and that’s a red flag for me.
    What specific issues are you referring to?
    Garmin Pro Team

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast