99 Johnosn 225 j225hpleen slow to get on plane/ stalls

I am at a loss on this one. I am having trouble getting on plane, it struggles. Once it breaks over no issues. Sometimes it wont get on plane and it falls off and stalls. I did notice that the quick start is not working, so no high idle once it starts. Quick start used to work after every start. Plugs are new, fuel filter is new. It starts and idles the same. First start of the day takes about 30 seconds, the rest after that are a quick flip of the key. Compression I have not taken in a year, but was around 118 at all cylinders +/- 2 Lbs. This started all at once. One thing I did notice the first launch of the day is much better than the rest. Occasionally it takes 5-8 attempts to get on plane. Any idea where to start?

Thanks in advance.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sounds like the stator may be on its way out.

3. Member
    Ok, I tried to check the stator. Can it be tested on the motor? Also, I have 4 wires, yellow/grey, yellow/red and 2 browns cant remember the color of the stripes. None of the wires to the stator have any continuity to each other or ground. I tried to look it up online, but none of the starters I found had the same color wires. So I am not sure of my findings. If someone could tell me what wires I should be checking that would help alot. Thanks.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes the can be tested on the motor but you'll have to open up the power pack to access the wires underneath. A manual will give you the wires to check, for a output test you'll need a DVA adapter for your multimeter.