Thread: Talon ?

Talon ?

Cant finmd answer to this question. Do I need to grease or lube it anyplace? They where on boat when I bought it (used) and dealer said no maintance was needed. Seems strange. THANKS guys

I have the tilt bracket on mine, tilt them forward extended and spray them with dry lube.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBait53 View Post
    I have the tilt bracket on mine, tilt them forward extended and spray them with dry lube.
    Make sure when you extend that the stages are clean. dry lube will work or you can use Pledge furniture polish. Spry the grooves on each stage and run in and out a couple of time. Do this every now and then. If you use them in muddy or sandy bottom then do it more often.

page 66 in the owner's manual I am going to post...https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...l_Talon-BT.pdf

Now with that being posted I do not do exactly what they say but I do something close. When I deploy mine in deep water I have a tremendous amount of vibration even if I am only at idle speed. It's enough that I don't like to use that practice as a cleaning method. What I do is when I am in open deep water I simply deploy them and leave them down. Moving around on the trolling motor and wave action will "wash/clean"' them. I do this for a 50-75 yards and then I retract them. How often I do this depends on the type bottom I have been fishing. If deploying them on rock or gravel I seldom do this but if I have been deploying in a mud bottom I will seek deep water to clean them or use the flush port at the top when I get home. I have Gen 1 8ft Talons. They have a port on top where you spray water down to clean. I do this once about every 20 or so trips. Most of my cleaning is done as I described earlier.

The owner's manual for my Talon did not say what cleaner to use for the exterior. I personally emailed Minn Kota and was told pledge furniture polish. I simply just use the spray on detail wax I use when wiping my boat down. Typically I use Bass Boat Saver of Lucas Speed wax.

I can't recall if my owners manual recommended lube but I want to think it did. I did not see it in the owner's manual in the link I posted but I do have older Talons so I don't know if that makes a difference. Anyways I do lube mine once or sometimes twice per year. Tilt brackets would be nice to lay them down to service them but I don't have them so I do it the hard way and remove them. I slide the Talons out of the bracket, fully extend them, clean them and spray a generous amount of water resistant silicone on everything that is deployed.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    page 66 in the owner's manual I am going to post...https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...l_Talon-BT.pdf

Now with that being posted I do not do exactly what they say but I do something close. When I deploy mine in deep water I have a tremendous amount of vibration even if I am only at idle speed. It's enough that I don't like to use that practice as a cleaning method. What I do is when I am in open deep water I simply deploy them and leave them down. Moving around on the trolling motor and wave action will "wash/clean"' them. I do this for a 50-75 yards and then I retract them. How often I do this depends on the type bottom I have been fishing. If deploying them on rock or gravel I seldom do this but if I have been deploying in a mud bottom I will seek deep water to clean them or use the flush port at the top when I get home. I have Gen 1 8ft Talons. They have a port on top where you spray water down to clean. I do this once about every 20 or so trips. Most of my cleaning is done as I described earlier.

The owner's manual for my Talon did not say what cleaner to use for the exterior. I personally emailed Minn Kota and was told pledge furniture polish. I simply just use the spray on detail wax I use when wiping my boat down. Typically I use Bass Boat Saver of Lucas Speed wax.

I can't recall if my owners manual recommended lube but I want to think it did. I did not see it in the owner's manual in the link I posted but I do have older Talons so I don't know if that makes a difference. Anyways I do lube mine once or sometimes twice per year. Tilt brackets would be nice to lay them down to service them but I don't have them so I do it the hard way and remove them. I slide the Talons out of the bracket, fully extend them, clean them and spray a generous amount of water resistant silicone on everything that is deployed.
    That is a good reccomendation. I have heard that this works pretty good from people that have donee it.