1987 Mariner 175 No Spark

1987 Mariner serial #: 0B129682

No spark on 1, 3, 5 cylinders.
    Changed out power pack and didn’t fix issue.
    Changed out stator and rectifier. Ran perfect for 1st outing but then went back to missing on 2nd trip to lake. Sometimes it will kick in and run on all 6 cylinders.
    Seemed like it wasn’t getting fuel so changed out primer bulb and line. Also replaced fuel filter. Bulb is staying primed so I don’t think fuel to the motor is the issue.

Maybe a fuel pump issue?

What should I check now?

The wires coming from the stator to the rectifier are the same color (both yellow) and I couldn’t trace them back due to stator being sealed. I may have them backwards. Would this cause any issues? Is there a better process to determine which one goes where? I hooked it up both ways and the tach gauge didn’t work either time.

Any help is is greatly appreciated.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to post this in the 2.0/2.4/2.5L Forum (correct for this engine).

Yellow leads to Rectifier: Either can be in either location.

Have you checked the trigger and harness (resistance test, move throttle from idle to wot and back while watching for changes in each test value)?

Also, switchboxes are normally replaced IN PAIRS as a damaged switchbox will usually damage it's "mate's" bias circuit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I will repost in correct forum. Thanks for info on rectifier and switch boxes.