03 521 restore project

IMG_5453.JPGBought this from insurance salvage, boat was damaged by running into rocks on the Mississippi per previous owner.

Had to find trailer to get it home, found a 99 ranger trailer 4 hours north of me was in rough shape without fenders installed but everything was there
    IMG_5634.JPG

Last edited by ranger195; 09-23-2019 at 08:39 AM.

2. Member
    Im going to try and chronicle this because i know there are a lot of folks out there that wonder if they could do themselves and im one to tell you im no expert by any means. Im a carpenter by trade who has pretty good common sense and wiling to try most anything so i decided i was going to try it myself. I was about to buy a 65K boat and just couldn't bring myself to do it. Heck i paid that for my first house no boat was work that IMO. So i found by new project and hope to be all in for under 20 when done. Thats if i don't re-power with new motor. Plan is to re-do all plumbing, remote drain plug, 52" ultrex, new electronics not sure on brand just yet, New talons, jack plate, not sure manual of hydro yet, make new dash panel for old switch side, i dont like the push button controls. Rewire completely right now that may change. Of course fix all the gouges, scratches and re gel these areas. Install recessed trolling tray. hoping to have a new 03 ranger when im done.

Its new home for the next 2 months

IMG_5636.JPG

Going to try and keep up with the process.
    Last edited by ranger195; 09-23-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Good luck. Would love to do that someday. Will be following.

4. Member
    That's gonna be a good one. I'm going to be at just under $10k with mine when I'm done but 9 of it is everything besides the hull and trailer. Look around on here, I've saved probably $4k off the retail of everything by buying slightly used or non current new stuff. Wholesale Marine is your friend too.

5. Member
    Can you find another site to host your pictures. They are not loading. Sounds like you got a good deal.

6. Member
    Not sure why you cant see them? Others can.
    Update i sprayed my final 2 coats of clear and took to sanding today. Was satisfied for the most part, it not perfect but it WAY better than what i started with
    Before IMG_5535.JPG IMG_5536.JPG

After a little 80, grit,180 grit,400 grit, 600 grit, then 1000 grit wet sanding then compound
    Last edited by ranger195; 09-23-2019 at 08:42 AM.

7. Member
    Started with these off the 97 trailer i found which wasnt an option, I called ranger and i could get new ones for right around 500 each. Once i started doing the repairs i figured why not try and see what i could come up with as long as i had the material for it. I base coated with a black gel, then sprayed clear with flake and red mist flake mixed in over that. Sprayed performance white around the fenders then attempted to pin strip a red flake between the 2. I tried and im not satisfied it looks like crap. will be hoping Crank or rojo can give me some advise on how to do pin strip the has clean lines.
    BEFORE

AFTER
    Last edited by ranger195; 09-29-2019 at 10:37 AM.

8. Member
    Crank or Rojo, Any tips for clean lines for the small pins stripes? If i can't get it better than it is now ill just gel them solid and live with it but id like to bling them up more than that.

9. Member
    The project sounds interesting. I can only see two of three fender pics, nothing else.

10. Member
    Ill try and edit the pics not sure why they went away, Just to confirm, others did see them earlier correct?

11. Member
    Last edited by ranger195; 09-23-2019 at 08:59 AM.

12. Member
    Did you ever finish this project? Interested to see how it turned out if you did

13. Member
    Only 4 of the pictures in the whole thread loaded for me. Try imgur app
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

14. Member
    I’d like to see the after on fenders, but your photo host took a turd.
    1984 Ranger 395V 1998 Mariner 225 Mag EFI

"A bad day of fishing, is always better then a good day at work"