Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Shimano D7 chronarch

When these come up for sale, they are gone almost instantly, so there’s some serious love for them. I have 2 and they cast braid fantastically, are there any models out now that perform like these did? If so, which model is the most similar?

2. Member
    It’s hard to say apples to apples on the d7 it’s a great reliable reel for sure some of the new Shimano s can outperform the d7 in certain areas. If Shimano made an aluminum metanium with brass gears it would probably remind me of the d7 somewhat. The bantam kind of does but a little more heavy in weight. The d 7 was a reel that really gained more popularity after it was discontinued. Like the daiwa sv 103 for example when one goes up for sale they are gone quick. This will sound odd but the sv103 kind of reminded me of the d7 even though it was a daiwa

Chronarch D was an awesome platform but has since been out designed and performed by a number of reels. Price point would be an issue at the $299 Chronarch D was at, but Bantam far out performs the D nowadays and has Xship, better braking system and drag. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

4. Banned
    Thanks fellas, gives me something to look into.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Thanks fellas, gives me something to look into.
    Bad ass reel. Clean it, care for it, tune it. One of the best from Shimano.

6. Member
    Can confirm. The Bantam MGL is an awesome reel and a joy to fish. Only downside is it will make your other reels feel cheap and "plasticky" by comparison.

I miss my D7, but I love my NRX and Metaniums more :)

8. Member
    They were good reels, but no better than what's on the market now.

Goes with the green Curado obsessions. They were good for the times, but don't compare with the reels made today.

9. Member
    The bantam has one flaw that the D7 does not and that is when you cast the line seems to come off the more D7 effortlessly IMHO
    The D7 was $50 cheaper than the Bantam and weighed less. Also you had additional spool options for the D7. I have found only one for the Bantam
    and that's the Yumeya Shallow spool with I have as well.

10. Member
    I prefer the Gen 1 Exscence DC to both.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    I prefer the Gen 1 Exscence DC to both.

Damn just googled it $550 is crazy, I guess it should be good though.

12. Member
    Damn just googled it $550 is crazy, I guess it should be good though.
    That is the Gen 2 model. The Gen 1 was built on the same frame as the Chronarch D but basically on roids

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerfish1 View Post
    That is the Gen 2 model. The Gen 1 was built on the same frame as the Chronarch D but basically on roids

Ahhh, so it’s pretty much impossible to find too then or do they pop up on eBay?

14. Member
    they do pop up on ebay and tackle tour for sale forums sometimes they are hard to find. the reel only comes in one ratio and its 8:1 speed and the reel is a dc reel as well some guys arent into the dc reels as much just in case you didnt know it was.

15. Member
    Ahhh, so it’s pretty much impossible to find too then or do they pop up on eBay?
    I haven’t been actively seeking one out but in the last year I think I have seen several listed here for $250-300.

I picked up both of mine for about $230 and $240 from Digitaka several years back.

16. Member
    The D7 reels were awesome at their time. I had 20 and sold them all for a nice price. I like the Bantams better though.... the Bantams just have a quality feel. I would like to see that pearl paint job come back on a high end Shimano.... the D7s were pretty!

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    The D7 reels were awesome at their time. I had 20 and sold them all for a nice price. I like the Bantams better though.... the Bantams just have a quality feel. I would like to see that pearl paint job come back on a high end Shimano.... the D7s were pretty!

I bought a Bantam and am awaiting it’s arrival. It might be scary if I like it, might spend lots of $$$ on more of them.

18. Banned
    I bought a Bantam and am awaiting it’s arrival. It might be scary if I like it, might spend lots of $$$ on more of them.
    They are cool reel for sure. I like mine for pitching baits. Doesnt cast as well as my 14Scorpion (I series reel).

I haven't found a better casting reel then the Metanium MGL, it even out casts my Metanium 13 that has a shallow spool and HH bearings, but not by much....

My D7's are still in my main tourney day lineup. Two are on Legend Elite 7' MHF (still the best all around bass rod ever) and two are on Legend extreme 7'4"HF.
    The reel that comes close is the Chronach MGL 150. I love everything about this real; they are also paired with the 7'MHF. The only drawback is there is not much line capacity with a heavy line (.017").
    The other reel that may replace the D7 is the new Bantam. I tried one this year and it's solid; the more I use it the more I like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast