Engine for avx 1980

Hey guys, I have a question about outboards, I’m probably going to order a 1980 after the first of the year and l’m trying to figure out which outboard to go with, Evinrude G2 150 HO, Mercury 150 pro xs or Yamaha 150 sho, I like all 3, I know the Evinrude is 2 stroke but very high tech engine, the nearest Evinrude BPR Platinum certified dealer and Vexus dealer is 160 miles from me, and I have Mercury and Yamaha dealers 5 miles from me. I hear good things on all 3 outboards. I figure all 3 engines are pretty much trouble free, but all 3 can still have issues. Not wanting to start a Ford or Chevy battle, but you guys that run these outboards, what’s your thoughts. Thanks

2. Member
    I loved the look of the white Evinrude G2 and the white 1980, talked to dealers that had sold dozens of them with no issues, read the 10 year warranty, found a dealer 114 miles away (mostly interstate) with one in stock, and bought it this spring. Has been a great decision so far. Very pleased with the performance and fuel economy of the G2, and still love the looks. My dealer Bay Marine has been GREAT! While I haven’t needed any service on the G2 (another selling point), I had my bunks repaired by the awesome Bay Marine/Vexus Team and will pick it up tomorrow after the fuel line recall. So, the distance hasn’t been an issue because the dealer has been so responsive to my needs. Driving is easy, but dealing with an unresponsive dealer wouldn’t have been as easy. Find a great dealer, it might be the most important thing.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

I've been in Dartmans 1980 with the Merc and that was a very impressive engine. Quiet, smooth and powerful. I'm an Evinrude guy but if I have those other 2 dealers that close to me then I would go with a Merc or Yamaha PROVIDED that the dealer is a good one that you trust.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    How does one build a trusting relationship with a outboard dealer which you never dealt with before? For example, I have a Yami and Merc dealer 20 mins away, while no Zuk or Rude dealer near me. If the OP chooses to go with a Yami and a single dealer is 5 miles away from OP, are they stuck with that dealer if they turn out to be untrustworthy?

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
    How does one build a trusting relationship with a outboard dealer which you never dealt with before? For example, I have a Yami and Merc dealer 20 mins away, while no Zuk or Rude dealer near me. If the OP chooses to go with a Yami and a single dealer is 5 miles away from OP, are they stuck with that dealer if they turn out to be untrustworthy?

Do research on that dealer that is close to you. I'm sure that if they have reputation then it will pop up on the web somewhere. As far as having to stick with "your" dealer that would be a NO. Just go to any dealer that services your brand engine. I would call them prior to jut showing up as you may be on a waiting list since you didn't purchase from them.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO