Lake Okeechobee (South Bay) area

Wanted to ask the members who fish Lake O often. I fished the South Bend area for the first time yesterday since fishing this same area earlier this year, and quickly noticed how the landscape has really changed. The hydrilla from what I saw is gone as well as other forms of top water vegetation, except for vary small patches scattered around. My question is... was this kill off of vegetation a direct result of the draw down, or was this a direct result of spraying, or both?
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

2. Member
    Spraying!!!!!!!

The hydrilla has has been gone on Chobe because of the spraying. Harney pond use to be amazing with eel grass and hydrilla spraying killed it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atta View Post
    Spraying!!!!!!!

The hydrilla has has been gone on Chobe because of the spraying. Harney pond use to be amazing with eel grass and hydrilla spraying killed it.
    Wow!! So they did spray that whole area??!! That is one of the saddest things to see. They nuked it all.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

4. Member
    They killed off the hard lines south with tussock treatments, the turbidity of the water without that protection did the rest. Killed off the wire grass and pads. Not much grew up to replace, so basically it's just reed heads everywhere

Its real sad. The hay fields are all gone. The lake changes alot already without the help of them spray boats. My locations saved on my fish finder are all open water now. A few years ago they used to be inaccessible cause they were 200 yards into the reeds.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Member