2stroke to 4 stroke repower items needed?

Going from a optimax XS to a pro XS 4stroke...
    i already have Smart craft/Merc monitor ...
    is there any other items needed to do the swap over?
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

I was looking at the Jaco’s Marine site yesterday. They’re currently offering free rigging and controls, OR a Platinum Warranty on all Mercury four strokes. Sweet deal, although I did notice prices jumped slightly, so free may be “not so free”. But, still a good deal.
    When I repower I’ll be going with all new controls and cables, and a Smartcraft gauge package.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Minimum Advertised Pricing probably has more to do with it than anything. They are not a Sponsor, either.

Lowslungcruiser: Traditionally, you will need:

-Keyswitch Extension Harness (must be 5' longer, usually 10' extension to keep connections in bildge)
    -Prop of AT LEAST 1" lower pitch
    -New Mounting Hardware (suggest OEM kit)
    -New 3/8" Fuel Line from tank to engine (NO BULB)
    -Rigging Hose Kit
    -975 CCA (MINIMUM) AGM Battery Required. Recommend higher if possible.
    -Inspect all other rigging for wear/tear and address as required.

(While you may need other incidental items, the above are the most commonly needed for this type of repower).
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-10-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    About that no bulb thing .....mine has a blub ...i asked ....they said they install the bulb as no one wants to try an get 20' of empty line to prime while floating down river to your end.... with these new motors aint as easy to over pressuriz the fuel like it was on the old verandos...

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury has been very specific about not using primer bulbs. And since "Improper Rigging" is not covered under factory warranty terms, I would not want my engine rigged with one.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

IMPORTANT: There is no need to install a fuel line primer bulb into the fuel system of this outboard. These new V‑8 and V‑6 FourStroke outboard models do not use a fuel primer bulb to prime the fuel system. However, the fuel system is not adversely affected with a primer bulb installed—as in the case of repowering an existing boat.
    Bulletin No. 2018-07R1 PG 6

Now I'm really in trouble..

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Actually Mike, that's a very good point (and something that's not found in several other locations that specify fuel line requirements). Good catch!

It would still normally be necessary to replace the line (as previous model listed used 5/16" line from the bulb to the engine).

Still don't see a need for the primer bulb: It's not required, really not recommended, and under no circumstances would you want to run one of these engines out of fuel as it can cause damage to the pumps. If you did run it out of fuel, a primer bulb would be of only "marginal" help (very different from previous model fuel systems).

Even though it's brand new I'm taking it out.