2000 Johnson 115 Running Rough after warmup

Hi. This outboard is located in Baja, Mexico so I can't easily bring it in for service. It is a 2000 Johnson 115 two stroke 25" shaft. My problem is it starts fine and runs fine for 5 miles or so. But then it can start running rough, dropping one or more cylinders, and if I play with the throttle it can clean up and run ok for a few minutes but then start doing it again. I can usually decrease the throttle and run back in at less than 2,000 rpms ok. What I've done so far is replace my main fuel filter and the onboard filter and oring. I replaced the fuel line. I decarbed it. I replaced all spark plugs. I removed the coils and observed carbon flash marks on the stainless backing plate which appeared that a coil was shorting. So I replaced both coils and all spark plugs wires. I used new gas. I just returned from a trip and tried the outboard with all these changes. It did the same thing. I'm thinking maybe the powerpack. The odd thing is sometimes it will run ten miles or more with no problem. On my final day I ran five miles to my fishing spot and five miles back and it ran perfect. So it is not making sense to me. When I say it runs rough, I mean the rpms will drop and jump and basically be all over the place. Does not sound or act like a gas problem. I can pump the fuel bulb and it makes no difference. It feels and sounds electrical to me. Thanks.
    2001 Seaswirl Striper 2600 LE
    2001 Evinrude 250 Ram Injection

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'd bring a power pack down with you next trip along with an optical eye (EET) and see how that does.

3. Member
    Thanks for the quick response. Would either of those two parts be affected by engine heat after the powerhead comes up to temperature. That's what it appears is happening since this never occurs until after running at speed (3,500 rpms) for twenty minutes or more. I'll get the two parts and follow your advice.
    2001 Seaswirl Striper 2600 LE
    2001 Evinrude 250 Ram Injection

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I would also look for this part on EBAY it is no longer available. 0585023 — TEMPERATURE SWITCH, PORT (1 required per assembly)