Thread: 250XS Problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member

It’s been a busy day so kind of a dark video but you should be able to see it. The water is coming out of a hole directly above each motor mount and through the hole where the bracket attaches.
    2006 Ranger 521VX w/ Gorilla Hull
    2005 Mercury 250XS L 0T999348

2. Member
    Same answer as post #18. Powerhead needs pulled,

3. Member
    Yes Savage just wanted to give a closer view in case yall’s trained eyes see anything else I’m missing. I emailed Rhonda about what I’m going to be doing so we can get a list together and order everything I need.
    Thank y’all for the help

4. Member
    All hoses and wires are disconnected and ready to pull the PH. All injectors packed up going to Brucato tomorrow and ordered my parts from European. There are a few more things I need after pulling the injectors earlier though.

It has the metal DI washers would y’all recommend keeping them or going to the rubber washers?

I pulled and re-gapped the plugs to .032, 2,4,6 were all “wet” and 1,3,5 were completely dry? There was a little moisture in the port rail but not fuel probably just from the muggy humid Louisiana air. I will be changing all O-rings and diaphragms on rails and hoses before I put it back together.
    Is the lower crank seal a common problem? Should I go ahead and change it while the PH is off?

5. Member
    I just replace PH and adapter plate gasket on a buddies 2005, 250XS. I like to have never got adapter plate off!! After some tips from JOE54, I ground down a screwdriver to make it very flat and tapped it in the front and it popped loose. A flat wide chisel would have worked too. Good luck!

6. Member
    Powerhead, midsection, & adapter are off. Removed all the gasket material & cleaned out every bit of carbon buildup I could.

Some of the mating surfaces are missing powder coating in spots. Would anyone recommend sanding everything just so there’s no major differences on these surfaces? If so what grit would be best?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sanding- Absolutely NOT!!! Too easy to distort the gasket surface.

You could clean up rough areas BY HAND with a Scotchbrite Pad (Burgandy works well). DON'T use rotary tools.

Prime and Paint with Mercury/Quicksilver Primer and Phantom Black before reassembly.

NOTE: Powerhead Surface DOES NOT get painted (remains bare metal).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks Don, I did as you suggested with the prime and paint. Should have my parts from y’all today. Injectors are on the way from Brucato. Rich said fuel injectors are all good but 3 bad direct injectors. 3 new direct injectors on the way also.

I have been wondering about the compressor. Do all of them make the chirping sound or is that a sign it is failing? It is the black painted one and there is no play in the pulley with the belt off.

9. Member
    Compressor must be disassembled to verify the true condition.

10. Member
    So, in your past experience, does an brand new Optimax compressor make the chirping sound?
    If not:
    Have you ever disassembled one that was chirping and found no problems?

11. Member
    I got it all back together, BIG thank you to JOE54 for letting me come by on short notice for him to install my diaphragms in the fuel rails.

High temp copper RTV on exhaust boot is curing along with fresh paint on the mid section and transom bracket. Can't wait to get this thing on the water and see how it SUPPOSED to run!

12. Member
    JOE54 IS Da man!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabslobberer View Post
    So, in your past experience, does an brand new Optimax compressor make the chirping sound?
    If not:
    Have you ever disassembled one that was chirping and found no problems?
    One day I was running my motor with cowl off to diagnose which head wasn’t coming up to temp so I could pull the stat and clean it. During this time I thought wow that compressor has a loud chirp to it. I disassembled the compressor and sure enough the crank journal was eaten up badly and the bottom cavity full of glitter. I ordered a new compressor and when I started it up it sounded identical as far as I could tell. That was 60 run hours ago and it still sounds the same and is still running great. I wouldn’t use a chirp as a diagnostic tool unless the sound had recently changed or is changing now.

14. Member
    Definitely Savage!

Thanks James I’ll keep running it unless I notice any issues.

I just got the lower cowlings back on because I’ve been busy with work. I realize now that I should have put the rubber seal on the exhaust plate before I put on the PH. Oh well it was my first time pulling one and if that’s the worst screw up I’ll be happy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12