Thread: 8 AWG for sonar

8 AWG for sonar

Garmin wants 8 awg wire for live scope power with a power run over 15 feet.
    Can wires be pulled easily or is it a grinder job to get them in?
    i think power runs from battery to helm sonar then runs up to bow to power bow sonar.
    Power wire is 10 gage.
    Live scope powered from bow sonar power wire.
    Keep getting transducer not connected readings saying live scope isn’t setup right.
    Sometimes it works ok
    Garmin wants 8 gage wire for power cable.
    any help welcome
    odie

2. Member
    Yes power runs from battery to helm garmin E box and then runs upto bow to power bow unit and live scope.
    Going to try pulling old wire out with new wires behind them.
    Project is on a 211 r.
    i hope wires aren’t zip tied

my alpha still had pieces of string through all gunnels on the driver side for pulling thrugh. the only tough spot is the tube under the console and getting from the rear compartment around the helm controls to under the console.
    Something i found works pretty well, is to get wire loom (like they make rod sleeves from). Poke that through from the console to under the little glove box. run your other wires to that, put them inside it a few inches and tape it off. helps keep it from getting stuck/hungup when pulling through.

4. Member
    Capt.....your getting this error with your Garmin because it's a known issue with the panoptix box. Not a wiring problem. Look over in the Garmin forum there are several threads about this. I just installed it on mine and it does it every few startups.

5. Member
    Thanks