2016 g2 150 codes

2016 150 g2 showing code 204 it will start but nothing happens when put into gear. Anybody seen this before. Boat ran fine last time out.
    Z185 Ranger 150 G2

ESC Code 204
    Electronic Shift Control cannot achieve desired gear

Actuator cannot achieve commanded gear. Engine limited to 1200 RPM. Engine will SHUTDOWN if NEUTRAL cannot be achieved. Check gearcase for mechanical damage.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    Shift actuator was full of water needs replaced.
    Z185 Ranger 150 G2

Was the gearcase ever removed and serviced for any reason? If not, my guess would be the assembler on the production line pinched an o-ring when putting it together. It is unfortunate but that is what warranties are for.
    -----

5. Member
    I had this exact same code and issue. When my boat was new I never had water pressure on the ICON, only temp so when I brought it back to the dealer at the end of the season they said they had to replace my impeller due to some shipping from the factory with excessive grease. It wasn't long after I got it back on the water in the following spring that I got the code 204 and it was water in the shift actuator that caused the issue. My guess was this was not a coincidence being they had the lower unit off before I had the issue. Everything was covered but it was still an inconvenience to be without my boat for 3 weeks in the spring.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

6. Member
    Gearcase has never been serviced. I work in the auto industry and new cars fail daily for no reason boats are not diff. Thankful for warranty hopefully only down 3 days.
    Z185 Ranger 150 G2

Replacing a G2 water pump does not entail doing anything with the electric shifter system that could cause water intrusion. The shift actuator is in its own sealed cavity in the upper front area of the gearcase, ahead of the water pump.
    -----

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Replacing a G2 water pump does not entail doing anything with the electric shifter system that could cause water intrusion. The shift actuator is in its own sealed cavity in the upper front area of the gearcase, ahead of the water pump.
    Glad to hear this, makes me feel better about my dealer. Probably wrong for me to speculate but when I never had an issue in the first 25hrs of ownership and then had an immediate issue the 2nd time on the water after dealer service I was in doubt of what was done. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2