36,V Trolling motor battery connector cable gauge

I'm going from 24V to 36V and need another series connector cable. Not sure what gauge, the short one I have on the 24V set up is black and no info on it. The 3rd battery is going to require a long one as it's on the other side, so I'm going to order it online. Thanks!!!
    Scott Inman

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Go with 6AWG.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    You want both cables to be equal. Or at least the same gauge. Bigger the better but I would say #4 or larger. Bob
    Note: how far away is the other side?

4. Member
    Here is a reference to cable sizes and reasons. Might be of interest. By the way I did not intend to challenge the moderator only input my suggestion at the same time. Bob
    Sorry was rushing to go to church. This is the link: http://enerdrive.com.au/wp-content/u...-correctly.pdf
    Last edited by bobcoy; 09-07-2019 at 08:07 PM.

I'm thinking of using the 3rd battery (next to cranking battery) as the middle battery, so, 2- connector cables,1-about 3.5' and the other 4.5'.
    Scott Inman

Also, After having bad luck with 3 pairs of AGM batteries (Cabelas) on my 24V set up, I went to Walmart Maxx group 29's and they are 3yrs old. They perform as they did new. Is it ok to get just one new one to make it 36V? With the Ultrex and 4 bank charger purchase, I'm going broke. LOL
    Scott Inman

7. Member
    I have been running a similar setup with 3 Walmart 29s (not the MAXX tho) since 2015 when I went from 24v to 36v. 2 of the batteries were from my 24v setup and just added another in 2015. No issues. Using MK 460 precision charger.

Good luck.

Jonthan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

8. Member
    Actually, you will need two jumper wires if you're going to place the battery on the cranking side. this is because most boats trolling motor cables will not reach across the boat, so the new battery will be battery 2. you'll have bat 1 trolling motor and jumper to bat2, bat2 jumper to bat 3 and bat 3 to trolling motor. We sell the wire in bulk so we can make you the jumpers from 6ga Marine wire to your specs. Call if we can help.
    John
    870 773 3474
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Thanks John!
    Scott Inman