Helix 7 si image quality?

Hey guys Paul here from Colorado. Just needing a lil help with my si images. Picture doesn't look that great compared to others I've seen online. Like I said it's a Helix 7 Si and currently have it hooked up to my jon boat with a magnetic hull clamp. Have gone through settings for best pic quality. It also has it's own 12 volt power source. Does the transducer have to 100% level? I'm stumped and seem to get good quality images. Tia
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you sticking it to the starboard side of the hull instead of the transom?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

The face of the transducer should be parallel with the water’s surface.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    I’m having the same issue with mine and was just about to start a thread when I saw this. I bought a Helix 7 G2N brand new a few weeks ago and just was able to get it on the water to play around with it today. Images are just like above, almost seems pixilated and can barely make out structure. My settings are Sensitivity-16, Contrast-14, with the 455khz transducer. It’s just grainy and can only seem to get decent images when the boats going over 5mph
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Mine looks grainy like that at times also. Im wondering if the black on the side is changing due to you rocking the small boat. Rough water and smaller boats might make it harder for the computer to put together a crisp image.

6. Member
    Ive seen that from time to time with all brands, but it doesnt last long. Maybe a couple mins. Sometimes it seems a unit needs to get "up to speed" so to speak.

Is the software current-----2.110
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    How are you propelling your boat? If rowing, I've found a chart speed of 2 worked the best with my 1st generation Helix 10 SI, up to around 2 mph. I fish from a 12' rowboat with no motor of any kind. Any idea of what you're running your chart speed at? Your range looks correct for your depth so that's good. Any chance that was a drop off on the left side or do you have that black there all the time? And if you've been playing with the image, using the sharpness function under the enhance menu can do funky things with picture as well.

9. Member
    Yes its on the starboard side, and also parallel to the water. I have to check into what version i have. Its powered with a 55lb trolling motor at the moment for smaller ponds. its my pond hopper setup. It gets up to 3.8 mph and i believe my charts speed is at 4. And that was not a drop off to my knowledge. Yea i dont know whats going on with it. Think my magnetic clamp can be giving off interference?? I guess i can try leveling the boat and and checking to see if the transducer is sitting 100% level.

10. Member
    20190908_134101.jpg

Pic of setup

Quote Originally Posted by Bassindude82 View Post
    20190908_134101.jpg

Pic of setup
    If you want to improve the image quality some, use the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T. It is 2" longer, has longer SI piezos which produce a thinner Imaging pulse= sharper images.

I used a Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2 and a Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3 yesterday to scan a fish attractor to compare the unit image quality.
    The settings were the same, the boat speed was the same passing by the subject, the displayed GPS speed is after I had slowed down to take the snap shot after the image scrolled down the view some. Both were with their standard transducers.

This is the G2:

This is the G3 at CHIRP 455 kHz:

This is the G3 at CHIRP 1200 kHz:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Wow awesome images. I fabbed up a new mounting solution. Leveled boat and transducer when installed and still got the same quality images. Also picking up alot of fuzzy stuff in the water column? I guess I have to do some more fine tuning or maybe even try a different lake. Thanx for the comparison's. I'll report back soon lol20190909_134555.jpg

It may be possible that all those rivets on your transom is causing turbulent water ..... You could temporarily mount it on the end of a pole or lower it down quite a bit just for troubleshhooting to see if it makes a difference.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

14. Member
    Yea thought about that. I think I'm going to sell this unit and upgrade to a mega. I think I've been looking at mega images this whole time and not realizing the differences between a G2 and Mega. What are people's opinions on other brands out there in the same price point?

I think if you update to an 8 MSI + you will be a lot happier with your images.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassindude82 View Post
    Yea thought about that. I think I'm going to sell this unit and upgrade to a mega. I think I've been looking at mega images this whole time and not realizing the differences between a G2 and Mega. What are people's opinions on other brands out there in the same price point?
    Raymarine has the Element that makes beautiful images, and Lowrance’s ti2 with the 3n1 transducer is another good option.