Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. The two electrical connections in the vapor pressure switch should be an open circuit? Mine are closed/shorted even with the engine not running. Thanks

2. Member
    . The warning horn is turned on by a path to ground. That is not a vapor separator switch, it is a vacuum fuel pressure switch. One wire goes to the warning horn and the other goes to ground. You have a wiring diagram in the back of the service manual.

3. Member
    Yes I was looking at those wiring diagrams. I think the switch is bad, if my thinking is right. The switch should be open and ungrounded in normal condition and during restriction or pulling vacuum the switch will close/ground itself and set on the light and horn. My switch is showing continuity between the terminals where the black and tan wires plug up when the motor isnot running. When I turn the key on the lights on the tach go through self check and then the check engine light and horn come on. I can unplug the wires to the switch and the light will go out. All of this with the motor not running just the key turned on. Your thoughts please. Thank you

4. Member
    It sure looks like the switch is bad. I don't remember for sure but I think you have tested the switch like the manual, anyway that is how I would test it.

5. Member
    Thanks jughead. The story I got on the boat when I bought it, Stratos 486sf. Husband/wife but boat new at c and o marine, used it very little, and always serviced/winterized at c and o. They get divorced wife gets boat, it sits in storage for 7 years. Brother gets boat out of storage this spring puts new battery, fresh fuel and oil takes it to the lake half a dozen times and says it runs great with no issues. Looking at the boat his story is believable, boat looks brand new. When I went to buy it I checked compression(122-125 top four and 117 and 118 bottom 2) and the boat started right up and sounded good on the hose. The boat runs great the only issue is "so called heatsoak" ,hopefully I fixed that with your and championmans help. Would you be scared to use the boat tonight with the vacuum switch unplugged? No dealers close to me so I have to order one. Thanks

6. Member
    I just can't answer that one Most of the time that switch wouldn't turn on the horn until above 4000 rpm. Unless there was a severe fuel restriction. I just can't remember, it's been so long since I ran across this problem. For some reason I'm thinking that there has to be air in the line to the switch, if it's full of fuel it won't work right. I fixed my wife's washing machine that way, so maybe that's what my old brain is recalling. Hell, who knows, sometimes I can't remember who I are.

7. Member
    I removed the pressure switch, the line is dry. I blew into it and suck on it doesnt appear that the diaphragm is leaking. I tapped on it a few times thinking something might unstick, but I still have continuity on the two electrical connector and you can plug it back up with the rubber line off and horn and light will come on with key in the on position.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Read page 2=7 and 2-10 in the service manual on the vacuum switch operation and testing

9. Member
    My seloc manual doesn't get into testing it -:(

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Oh sorry, that Seloc manual is OK but that's about it. Thought you had the factory manual. You'll need a vacuum tester something like a My-T-Vac or any other similar vacuum pump. I believe HF sells one also.

11. Member
    Shouldn't the switch be an open circuit if the boat isnt running?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuel View Post
    Shouldn't the switch be an open circuit if the boat isnt running?
    Maybe only with the ignition switch in the on position.

13. Member
    My "so called heatsoak" issue seems to be fixed. Moving fishing spots was so much nicer.

14. Member
    Wonderful, good job.

15. Member
    I hope the new vacuum switch I ordered takes care of the check engine light....

16. Member
    I got my new vacuum switch. I checked the new switch, it is an open circuit. I think it's safe to say if your vacuum switch is reading as a closed circuit when it is disconnected, you have a faulty switch. I installed it and no more warning horn or light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12