Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

current coming through outboard??

Just seeing if anyone has had to deal with a situation where your outboard gives you a shock when your battery charger is plugged in? Basically If I touch anything stainless on my motor when charger is plugged in its like getting stung by a bee, only when the charger is plugged in. When I get home I am going to check the wall outlet, power cord, and charger cord for possible bad ground. Has anyone else had this issue? Anything else I should check?

Blake

2. Member
    You have a breaker between your battery and outboard? If not get one. And check your system since you probably have a conduction somewhere.

3. Member
    Blake, be careful. Grounding is exactly where to start. GFI outlet is a good idea too! Your charger and extension need to have a third wire ground.(with the ground prong still intact) Bob

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Your problem is likely either bad wiring, or you are plugging in with a long extension cord or in a building with a sub panel that doesn’t have a ground rod.

The second case is really common. People think ground is ground, but that’s only true close to the service entrance for a building. What you experience is a difference in voltage between the ground on the wire and the actual earth under your feet. You can be shocked even when the metal is tied to electrical system ground.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    I dont have a breaker. I have one from the battery to the boat panel but the motor is hooked up directly.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Blake, be careful. Grounding is exactly where to start. GFI outlet is a good idea too! Your charger and extension need to have a third wire ground.(with the ground prong still intact) Bob
    both extension cord and charger cord have a third grounding wire

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Your problem is likely either bad wiring, or you are plugging in with a long extension cord or in a building with a sub panel that doesn’t have a ground rod.

The second case is really common. People think ground is ground, but that’s only true close to the service entrance for a building. What you experience is a difference in voltage between the ground on the wire and the actual earth under your feet. You can be shocked even when the metal is tied to electrical system ground.
    Might be, the cord is probably 30ft

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    I dont have a breaker. I have one from the battery to the boat panel but the motor is hooked up directly.
    Then get one.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Then get one.
    Breakers are an excellent suggestion but they will do nothing for the original problem of electric shocks.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
    Breakers are an excellent suggestion but they will do nothing for the original problem of electric shocks.
    I suspect folks are trying to keep him from gittn' kilt while he trouble shoots the problem.... Breaker = Good Idea. Keeps the wife from having to come out with a shovel and knock you off'a the motor!

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    I suspect folks are trying to keep him from gittn' kilt while he trouble shoots the problem.... Breaker = Good Idea. Keeps the wife from having to come out with a shovel and knock you off'a the motor!
    Breaker likely won’t help here, even a GFCI. Problem is the current is flowing between the electrical ground and the earth.

But any outdoor electrical circuit absolutely should be GFCI protected.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Seems like the perfect time to have the wife plug in the charger!

13. Member
    Went home last night and did some poking around with the boat. The outlets and cord check out ok. Plugged the boat in and tested the prop and some metal inside the boat. readings varied from 19 to 37V with the charger plugged in. 0 when unplugged. I un hooked the batteries and got the same results, still small readings on my tester. I think I have it narrowed to my charger. The only difference was that I could touch the prop etc with no ill effects. This got me thinking about what was different between when I would get zapped compared to now when I dont. I believe the difference is when the boat is wet, generally it gets a lot worse when the boat is wet (washing boat). So I am at a loss, other than it has to be the charger. The charger is mounted to fiberglass with stainless screws and not in contact with any other metal.

14. Member
    Try a different outlet and check. Outlet polarity may be reversed.

Charger manufacturer and model?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

15. Member
    Unplug the trolling motor and see if the readings are the same. I believe either motor or leads have shorted somewhere
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Went home last night and did some poking around with the boat. The outlets and cord check out ok. Plugged the boat in and tested the prop and some metal inside the boat. readings varied from 19 to 37V with the charger plugged in. 0 when unplugged. I un hooked the batteries and got the same results, still small readings on my tester. I think I have it narrowed to my charger. The only difference was that I could touch the prop etc with no ill effects. This got me thinking about what was different between when I would get zapped compared to now when I dont. I believe the difference is when the boat is wet, generally it gets a lot worse when the boat is wet (washing boat). So I am at a loss, other than it has to be the charger. The charger is mounted to fiberglass with stainless screws and not in contact with any other metal.
    Where you measuring on AC or DC? Where were both leads when you measured voltages?
    nothing else matters.​

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Try a different outlet and check. Outlet polarity may be reversed.

Charger manufacturer and model?

Ive tried different outlets....still the same outcome.

charger is Minn Kota Mk-460pc

18. Member
    Blackwoodz I will try that

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Where you measuring on AC or DC? Where were both leads when you measured voltages?

measuring AC. positive lead was put on prop/metal in the boat etc. Black lead was grounded.

I checked DC on the batteries while the charger was on and measured 14.6 V which I think is normal. 12.6 when charger is unplugged.

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    measuring AC. positive lead was put on prop/metal in the boat etc. Black lead was grounded.

I checked DC on the batteries while the charger was on and measured 14.6 V which I think is normal. 12.6 when charger is unplugged.
    Where was the black lead grounded?
    nothing else matters.​

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast