Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I plugged a second cord (15 foot) into a outlet (checked with a meter) and stuck it in the cords ground

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    I plugged a second cord (15 foot) into a outlet (checked with a meter) and stuck it in the cords ground
    Measure from AC ground to the cranking battery negative and positive terminal.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    At work right now but will try that tomorrow morning. I really appreciate everyone's help here

My 2016 Ranger Z520 does the same thing (old post about it somewhere). The house is new construction (2013) and before this Ranger I had a 2011 Z520 that did not do it, same outlet (tried them all) same extension cord (tried many). The 2011 Ranger had a Ranger dual pro charger and my 2016 has a Minn Kota 460 pc like yours. You have to be standing barefoot in the garage to get zapped, well its more like just a buzz, if you have flipflops or sneakers on it doesn't happen. Had it back to the dealer where we all stood with it plugged in barefoot touching the motor, no shock. Had an electrician come out and check everything, could not find anything wrong but replaced the GFI outlet anyway, no change. I can even plug it in to any outlet in the kitchen, same issue and the GFI outlet on the front porch, same issue. I have tried many extension cords and even plugged the charger directly to a couple outlets, same issue. Called Minn Kota to see if they've heard of the problem but they said nope, they did send me a new charger and I installed it but...same issue.

If I move the boat out of the garage on to the driveway, same outlet, same cord it does not do it, only in the garage. I just wear flip flops in the garage.

5. Member
    [QUOTE=RdRngR;10515493]My 2016 Ranger Z520 does the same thing (old post about it somewhere). The house is new construction (2013) and before this Ranger I had a 2011 Z520 that did not do it, same outlet (tried them all) same extension cord (tried many). The 2011 Ranger had a Ranger dual pro charger and my 2016 has a Minn Kota 460 pc like yours. You have to be standing barefoot in the garage to get zapped, well its more like just a buzz, if you have flipflops or sneakers on it doesn't happen. Had it back to the dealer where we all stood with it plugged in barefoot touching the motor, no shock. Had an electrician come out and check everything, could not find anything wrong but replaced the GFI outlet anyway, no change. I can even plug it in to any outlet in the kitchen, same issue and the GFI outlet on the front porch, same issue. I have tried many extension cords and even plugged the charger directly to a couple outlets, same issue. Called Minn Kota to see if they've heard of the problem but they said nope, they did send me a new charger and I installed it but...same issue.

This is a stretch but is there any wiring in the garage concrete slab? Could be an electrical short. Concrete is damp and could be conducting current. When you pull the boat out of the garage and the problem stops is a clue! Try turning off the power to the garage and see if the problem goes away.

Cat Fan gave all you guys the answers to correct this problem, follow that advice and all will be good
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    I used to get shocked by a Amplifier which had a polarity switch. Basically would switch the two wires that went to the outlet back when there wasn't a ground plug on the plug itself - just a two prong plug, both being the same size. I would suggest trying another outlet with the extension cord. The outlet you're using could have the wires reversed at the outlet.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Haven't seen anymore posts from the op but I would like to apologize. I feel like I highjacked his thread, I didn't mean to I was just telling about a similar issue.
    Again, I'm sorry.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRngR View Post
    Haven't seen anymore posts from the op but I would like to apologize. I feel like I highjacked his thread, I didn't mean to I was just telling about a similar issue.
    Again, I'm sorry.
    No problem at all! I appreciate your experience makes me feel not crazy. Im sorry fellas for the delay ive been crazy busy. I put the reader on the terminals as catfan said and im getting around 5 volts AC. The same as the reading from the prop. It is lower than usual but charger was in maintain mode if that makes any difference. Ive alsi tried to ground the charger with a wire from a mounting screw to metal bracing... didnt work.

10. Member
    Blake, have you tried it on another electrical connection/plug that isn't at your house. As I said before, the polarity has a lot to do with being shocked.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Banned
    You can buy a plug tester for a couple bucks at Home Depot or Lowes. You stick it in the plug and it shows if it’s wired correctly.

12. Member
    I have not tried it any other place other than my house. Ive had a tester on the plugs and they are good.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    You can buy a plug tester for a couple bucks at Home Depot or Lowes. You stick it in the plug and it shows if it’s wired correctly.
    yes I have tested them, they are ok

14. Member
    All the above are good suggestions. There is another possibility but probably somewhat remote: you may have a “bootleg” ground. The cheap testers from Home Depot or Lowe’s will not detect a “bootleg” ground. The testers will show everything is good when in reality it is not wired correctly. If you don’t know how to check for that, you may have to get an electrician check it out for you. I think you would have issues showing up in other places too if that was the case. CatFan touched on another possibility of it being a subpanel if you have one. It is possible the “neutral bar” in your subpanel is NOT isolated from the “ground bar” which is a must when you have a subpanel. I know troubleshooting electrical issues can be a nightmare. I hope you get it figured out.
    Good Luck
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    All the above are good suggestions. There is another possibility but probably somewhat remote: you may have a “bootleg” ground. The cheap testers from Home Depot or Lowe’s will not detect a “bootleg” ground. The testers will show everything is good when in reality it is not wired correctly. If you don’t know how to check for that, you may have to get an electrician check it out for you. I think you would have issues showing up in other places too if that was the case. CatFan touched on another possibility of it being a subpanel if you have one. It is possible the “neutral bar” in your subpanel is NOT isolated from the “ground bar” which is a must when you have a subpanel. I know troubleshooting electrical issues can be a nightmare. I hope you get it figured out.
    Good Luck
    Thanks Mike, Ill work away at this issue

16. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Reading the title and then the posts, don't find any efforts yet to determine if there is an electrical safety problem .....in the measured amount of leakage current. Is it more than 1/2 milliamp? more than 3 milliamps?
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 09-17-2019 at 03:16 PM.

17. Member
    Lots of good info from a few here..However......
    My guess is the problem is in your charger, not the AC wiring. The battery side secondary/output negative's should be isolated from the primary/input AC side Ground and Neutral and also negatives isolated from each other on the secondary.
    It sounds like there is leakage somehow between AC primary/input and DC negative secondary/output.

Because it is only happening with your boat and you have not experienced with any thing else in the shop like using a power tool. It is very likely the charger is at fault not the AC wiring.
    A charger (or any electrical device) can appear to be working fine, and have a problem on the input.

As I a am sure you understand..And some have alluded too, this needs to be taken care of. It can be a very serious issue under the right circumstances.
    Last edited by moetorola; 09-17-2019 at 03:51 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Seems like the perfect time to have the wife plug in the charger!
    Hahahahah.... I’m gonna tell on you!

19. Member
    Still at a loss. Im not a 100% sure but as its been alluded to Im pretty sure its the charger. For the time being I can ground the boat with a set of booster cables and a spike in the ground (clamped from jack plate and other end on spike stuck in the ground. Im going to need another charger I think. I really appreciate everyone's input and help!

20. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    May well be AC leakage current from the charger......but they all will have AC leakage.

Voltage does not harm, current does. If the leaked voltage say were in series with a megohms of resistance then any current is going to be safe....can go fishing.

Only way to determine safety risk is to measure the leakage current already mentioned in post 36.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast