Trim gauge accuracy ox66

Hope I explain this clearly...when trimming the outboard up from the fully down position, the trim gauge takes off really fast and moves quickly across the dial until it hits about 3/4 up and then it slows way down until the motor is almost fully trimmed up. In other words it seems that the gauge is moving faster than the motor is for the first half or more of the trim cycle then it slows or nearly stops during the last half or so of the trim cycle.

Could this be a sending unit that is failing, needs a cleaning or lubing or is this just normal for the Yamaha?
    I am new to the Yamaha world, all of the gauge needle movements on the Mercs I have owned were what seemed to be in time with the movement of the outboard.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

2 speeds on the trim/tilt... Trim is slower than tilt. The plastic trim tab may also be cracked.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    The gauge should only be indicating the trim range of the motor. Not the tilt range.

I would suspect that the trim indication system needs cleaning and calibration. If not, a replacement of a broken trim cam as CJ1 notes. There is an improved part available from Yamaha.

After verifying that the sender is working freely, that the trim cam is in good condition, calibrate the sender. Trim the motor to the fully down position. Adjust the trim cam so that the gauge indicates the full down position.

The presumption is that your gauge is the type that is compatible with the output of the Yamaha trim sender. What is the specific model of your motor? There are VX200's with three wire senders and there are VX200's with two wire senders. Assuming that you have a VX200.

What is the brand and model of your trim meter?

4. Member
    Thanks guys.
    I believe the trim gauge is a Teleflex Sahara series and from the looks of it I think it is the original gauge that came with the boat, matches all of the other gauges. Outboard is a VX200. Yes I was saying trim only as far as the gauge indicating movement of the motor not tilt. Cam doesn't appear broken to me but since I am new to Yamaha who knows. If the cam is reasonably priced I may just replace it.
    Before I started this thread I did adjust the cam slightly as the motor was fully trimmed down but gauge was showing just under 1/4 trim up, so the gauge does show fully down when the motor is fully down.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

5. Member
    VX200 what? Need the rest of the letters please.

6. Member
    Sorry, been a long day...
    VX200TLRB
    66X L 1000084
    Q
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

7. Member
    A VX200TLRB uses a two wire sender. Should be compatible with your gauge.

Only thing I can think of now is to disconnect the sender so as to measure the change in ohms as the sender arm is raised and lowered. See if the change in ohms is consistent.

You mentioned that when the motor is down the gauge indicates down. When the gauge indicates the top of the trim range is the motor at the top of the trim range? it should still be on the two trim pistons and not have moved into the tilt range.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    A VX200TLRB uses a two wire sender. Should be compatible with your gauge.

Only thing I can think of now is to disconnect the sender so as to measure the change in ohms as the sender arm is raised and lowered. See if the change in ohms is consistent.

You mentioned that when the motor is down the gauge indicates down. When the gauge indicates the top of the trim range is the motor at the top of the trim range? it should still be on the two trim pistons and not have moved into the tilt range.
    Will give that a go. Yes, bottom and top of trim range is accurate, just the in between movements of the needle that seem out of sync with the outboard.
    THANKS so much for your help yam911!!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66