Thread: Pool 13

Pool 13

How’s the fishing been on 13 lately? Thinking of heading that way Sunday and I was wondering how the bite has been

2. Member
    Wish I could tell you. Been awhile since I've been out. With the river finally down to summer level I'd have to think the fishing has been pretty good.

3. Member
    Same here, haven't been out since we got back from Canada 2 weeks ago. I'm supposed to be getting out soon.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

We are hoping to get out for the first time since the river was at 19'. The plan is for the 15th - 16th of Sep. I have been spending medicare money all summer and just need to do something on my "normal life" list. Expect to explore many of our favorite holes and to enjoy life a little. We'll let you know how it goes.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Quote Originally Posted by Rips LEGEND View Post
    Same here, haven't been out since we got back from Canada 2 weeks ago. I'm supposed to be getting out soon.
    So ... how was Canada? Hope that it was awesome.
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 09-19-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter5 View Post
    So ... how was Canada? Hope that it was awesome.
    Canada was awesome! We should have stayed a couple more days. Lake of the Woods is so big you really need time to learn more. I got a nice 40" musky the 2nd day, but we didn't boat any more. Several follows and some nice northerns made it fun! The musky sliced my thumb open bigtime and the partner stuck a large treble hook through his finger for some nice battle scars! Seen a small bear and a few deer was the only wildlife.

7. Member
    And here comes the river back up!

8. Member
    I have a couple buddies that were out last weekend and did good.

Checked this morning (friday) and it is hitting 11'. So much rain ... I'd like to see 7 - 9' but after spending the summer meeting one Doctor after another - I'll just be happy to be on the river. I' m happy for Rip who boated a 40" muskie ... how cool is that? If he stuck his hand into the gills it's like sticking it into a box of razors ... I found this out the hard way on Shelbyville some years back.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

Well, we finally made it and confirmed that timing is most helpful. It was great to get out but the fish were hiding in places I don't know. 12' and chocolate colored rushing water had the bass in a funk. Cloud cover on Sunday and Blue sky on Monday (after the fog lifted). I could not believe the acres of pads in Spring Lake. Water levels did not seem to be a big factor in Spring but no bites. Water was mostly clear in Spring and when things return to near normal - I believe that the bite will return also. But this time of the year we like to roam the big river and that could take a week or more of dry weather. We did find some cleaner water north, but I think the fish recognized our red Ranger and went into lockjaw mode .... but the Bears - who played without an offense - somehow managed to sneak past Denver and left us with a "we'll take it" response. Looks like we have a kicker.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

11. Member
    IMG952669.jpgFigured out how to get a picture in here all by myself! I was getting several follows on a white spinnerbait with a RI 7' Big Dipper trailer but no takers. I switched to a Dirty Jigs swim jig with that same 7" white trailer and got hammered! Nice when a little change pays off!
    Last edited by Rips LEGEND; 09-18-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Yo! nice fish. Have the cuts on your hand healed up yet?

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

13. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Nice fish!
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

14. Member
    Yo! nice fish. Have the cuts on your hand healed up yet?
    Yeah they've healed up fine. I was still able to fish. But I had to redo the bandages a couple times. The reel had blood all over. The boat looked like a war had happened and the fish won!

Rip ... you still have the memory of that great catch... and good memories are sweet to have.

16. Member
    Rip ... you still have the memory of that great catch... and good memories are sweet to have.
    And battle scars for souvenirs! We got lots of good memories. I'm famous for my stories! Went black bear hunting in "82 and walked within 10 ft of a 300lb bear with 2 other guys and no one was aware until my 300 mag barked! Bet you have a few!
    Last edited by Rips LEGEND; 09-20-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Water is climbing fast. Looks like the next good weather will be Monday & Tuesday. The water will continue to climb and won't trend down until early Oct.

Most old Police have a big inventory of stories ... I don't have any good hunting stories ... but I have loads of great memories of being on the water.

Update: Took a tour of back waters and found some nice looking water but could only manage a few small bass... hope the level drops to at least 8'.
    we fished vertical wood, horizontal wood, pads, weed beds, open water, rip rap, slop, stumps, current edges, shallow, not too shallow, and everything we could think of ,,,, Oh well it was still better than not fishing ,,,, 7' would be better
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 09-28-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200