Thread: Dove opener

Dove opener

So how'd everyone do? My oldest and I shot 31(1 Eurasian) in 45 minutes at a state wildlife area near safflower fields the state plants. Great way to start the fall

2. Member
    Unfortunately, haven't been, yet, but want too. Great opener for you and your oldest!

I took my 7yr old out to a buddies sunflower field with strips and landing zones mowed. He requested we use steel shot due to his future use of field. So I took my 12 and a couple of 20's for the 7yr old to use due to the lack of availability of steel shot for his 410. We got 29 doves. His shoulder wore out with the 20ga and I did bring some 410 lead (ok'd with field owner) and my boy downed a couple with the 410. We had a ball. This was my first time hunting over sunflowers and I hope it won't be my last.

4. Member
    We've been shooting steel in Cali on the state areas for years. It's required statewide now. It kills em! Sounds like you guys had a ball

It has been slow going around here. Went out opening day and last Saturday, haven't even burned through a full box of shells yet. Have no problem seeing birds outside the building at work of course... There's an empty lot next to our building with a retention pond and a power line easement, but it's in the city limits so I can't go blast away on my lunch break.

6. Member
    Me and my grandson Killed 116 birds the first 2 days with only about 20 being morning or whitewings the rest were eurasians.

7. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by Basser100 View Post
    Me and my grandson Killed 116 birds the first 2 days with only about 20 being morning or whitewings the rest were eurasians.
    Awesome! I’ve only hunted one farm here in TN that had a decent number of Eurasian dove - I’d love to find a healthy population of them and make it unhealthy

8. Member
    The men's ministry had a dove hunt a week ago yesterday in southern KY. 7 hunters around 160 acre cut corn field. Saw very few birds. Temp was in the low 90s. 6 birds were taken. I got one for 2 shots.