Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Veterans able to use Bx and Commissary as of 1-1-2020

https://www.militarytimes.com/pay-be...ping-benefits/

worth a read I only know whats in the article

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    This is fantastic news. I've been advocating this for years.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

3. Member
    My biggest question is why would you want to?

If you live close enough, and have kids, the savings alone in the commissary are a huge benefit.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

5. Member
    No Sales Tax state or local

6. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Plus, it would be fun going on bases again.

An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

7. Member
    Not begrudging anyone a benefits increase, but I wonder why they don't just extend the privilege to all Vets like this 72 year old Vet from the Viet Nam era that does not have a disability? Although, I really don't have any idea how many there are of us. Maybe the system would be overwhelmed.

8. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Not begrudging anyone a benefits increase, but I wonder why they don't just extend the privilege to all Vets like this 72 year old Vet from the Viet Nam era that does not have a disability? Although, I really don't have any idea how many there are of us. Maybe the system would be overwhelmed.
    I'm with you, I feel all vets should be able to use it.

An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

9. Member
    I agree, should be open to all Vets, absolutely!

I'm guessing this is a phased in approach to adding to their customer base. I bet if it's successful they'll open it to all Veterans. Still it's a big step towards giving back to Veteran's. It's also another good reason why all vets need to register with their VA and put in a claim.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

11. Member
    If you are registered with 0%. it is for you. If you have not registered or did not then you still can, not sure how that part works.
    Does not have to be disabled like 10% or 90%

I know how that part works...go see your nearest VSO (DAV, VFW, etc) and have them help you complete the paperwork and submit it to the VA. Or go down to VA yourself and register. Bring a copy of your DD214 and any medical records you might have from your time in service.
    2016 Nitro Z21

13. Member
    I got out of the Army in 1971, but delayed VA registration until I retired in 2002 or so. By that time, Bush's tiered eligibility system was in place and I was not even allowed to register because I had a good health plan and other assets. Thankfully, I do not need the VA for health care and would not think of getting in line for that ahead of a more needy Vet, but would be nice for something like hearing aids that are not covered by my health insurance. Base privileges would be nice, though.

14. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Try again, I think all you need to do is agree to pay a cheap co-pay. Check with your county veteran rep. he will have the info. You can file a claim too with out having VA health care.

An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    Try again, I think all you need to do is agree to pay a cheap co-pay. Check with your county veteran rep. he will have the info. You can file a claim too with out having VA health care.
    Forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about a service connected disability claim? I don't think I could in honesty do that.

16. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Yes, I assumed you have a claim issue. When I applied about 8-10 years ago it was for a disability for my trashed back and diabetes from agent orange. My county rep asked if I wanted to apply for health care too. I too had insurance and a decent income. I had to sign a waiver, paraphrasing, if I agreed to pay the co-pays I didn't have to disclose any of my finances. 1stindoor might step in here because he is a lot more learned than me on this. Not sure if it is still that was now. But, do go to a DAV, VVN, VFW, AmVets and American Legion etc. or your County Rep and apply. If you do have a problem health wise that you developed in the service by all means to put in a claim.

An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

To be honest, I'm not as schooled on current VA policy and all of the ins/outs of the benefits side of the house. I mostly deal with AD Soldiers that are transitioning over to other side of the DD214. My job is in the realm of non-medical case management. When I start talking to vets that have been out for awhile my first recommendation is always to go see a VSO. They are normally far more "learned" and up to date on changes because they deal with those things every day.
    2016 Nitro Z21

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    If you live close enough, and have kids, the savings alone in the commissary are a huge benefit.
    hmmm. I just don’t see it. Maybe....on meat....sometimes. 9 times out of 10, Kroger is cheaper on everything. Sure, there is no tax, but take a look at the “surcharge” added on your receipt, not to mention the bagger ladies hounding your ass for money.

Don’t get me started on BX/PX/NEX......

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    hmmm. I just don’t see it. Maybe....on meat....sometimes. 9 times out of 10, Kroger is cheaper on everything. Sure, there is no tax, but take a look at the “surcharge” added on your receipt, not to mention the bagger ladies hounding your ass for money.

Don’t get me started on BX/PX/NEX......
    By leaps and bounds cheaper than shopping on the outside. And the baggers work for tips only, they are not paid. Ours don't hound .
    Last edited by BOATS; 11-19-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

20. Member
    Boy do I'm like a fool .All I had to do was get cut on a beer can and go to he VA and get 5% . But no I had to do 28 yrs. to get the right to shop at the BX and Commissary now it's open to every one. I guest I wasted my time . Guess they will get most of my retirement soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast