Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ^^Bitter much?
    Being a veteran has nothing to do with the amount of time you served. It has everything to do with being willing to take that oath. I only served for 27 years and a few months. Your 28 years probably gets you a better spot in line at the VA. Thank you for your service too.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

2. Member
    All I had to do was get cut on a beer can and go to he VA and get 5% . But no I had to do 28 yrs. to get the right to shop at the BX and Commissary now it's open to every one.

That comment bothers me a lot. What you are telling me is that my uncle who served in WW II for 3 years and was fortunate to not be killed or injured should not be worthy of PX/BX/etc. privileges because he did not serve 28 years in the service or my neighbor who was a Korea War veteran who served 4 years does not deserve the right. I know a lot of veterans who were injured or exposed to dangerous chemicals who served less than 5, 10, 20 or more years who never filed a claim for VA benefits, should have the same rights as any veteran that served. My brother-in-law who was a Navy Medic that served in Vietnam with the marines as a combat medic that helped save a lot of lives in field and left service after 4 years should deserve those rights, but he as well as thousands of other veterans do not get those privileges.

3. Member
    They need the business.

Sadly that's very true. The commissary and BX/PX is a base privilege that's going to be lost if they can't get their numbers up.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

5. Member
    Ever notice how this damned tiered system and concurrent/non concurrent payment stuff makes (IE extra money) makes veterans argue amongst theirselves? Am I the only one that wonders if it was designed that way from the beginning? The VA would just tell me I have anger issues for saying something like that LOL.

Should those base privileges be open to all Vets? I have no problem as long as the PX and Commissary are appropriately staffed to handle the influx. Ours can be a zoo they way it is right now. There is no way you can shop for the same as the Commissary. The PX is another story.

Meanwhile our base hospital cut off services to Veterans turning 65 as of April 1st because they are Medicare eligible. Now THAT makes my blood boil! It's bad enough I have to pay my own disability claim, play the game to get my disability upgraded, etc...then lose my so called "free" health care which 580'sh a year in insurance premiums for Tri-Care Prime is really pretty darn cheap, but when you look at 135'sh a MONTH for part B as you truly retire because the VA isn't creditable insurance plus dental and what ever meds you may need (mil retirees don't need part D) the commissary and PX being around may be a savings they need and use?

My understand of "A Veteran" is 180 days served after training dates with a honorable or general discharge.

After having grown up as a military dependent and watching my dad go through the retirement process, then doing the same myself nearly 30 years later, then working with Soldiers for the last 6 and helping them go through the process...I still can't make sense of some of the policies and guidelines. The most maddening part to me is the fact that half the VA doesn't have a clue what the other half does or how they do it (medical vs. benefits). Like most government run programs it can be a self licking ice cream cone. Getting you more benefits, more pay, more "privileges," means they're keeping themselves employed and adding to their staff and budget. I just turned 55 so I still have a bit before my relatively "free" healthcare gets significantly more expensive.

I don't think the commissary and PX numbers will go up too much. A lot of it still depends on the size of the veteran population outside the gate. Your location in Clarksville, like mine in Fayetteville, has a tremendous vet population, but I would think the majority of the other bases around the country have a smaller grouping, save the locations like Benning, LeJeune, JBLM.
    2016 Nitro Z21

Thankfully I have not had a need to use anymore than the MGI Bill but I agree that this should be available to all Honorably discharged Vets.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

8. Member
    I just noticed a new item that said all vets are now eligible to shop online at the PX. see: https://www.shopmyexchange.com/veterans

I was able to get verified for my two years of Army Service 69-71. I actually thought my records had been destroyed in the records center fire many years ago.

edit: Well I actually tried to use the site but could not make it work. Their system could not verify my information
    Last edited by csurp; 09-29-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Just to lighten it up a bit...you cant beat the class six prices.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but are you talking about a service connected disability claim? I don't think I could in honesty do that.
    That’s a big issue in my opinion, way too many vets claiming disability when it’s total BS. I know a lot of pilots and others getting a disability check and I don’t believe for one second anything is wrong with them.

As an update:

IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Department of Defense Expanding Access to Commissaries, Military Exchanges and Recreation Facilities
    Nov. 13, 2019
    https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Rel...changes-and-r/

The Department of Defense is expanding commissary, military exchange, and morale, welfare, and recreation (MWR) retail privileges on U.S. military installations as specified in the Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018, included in the John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019.

Starting Jan. 1, 2020, access will expand to include all veterans with service-connected disabilities, veterans who are Purple Heart recipients, veterans who are former prisoners of war, and individuals approved and designated as the primary family caregivers of eligible veterans under the Department of Veterans Affairs Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers. While this expansion will extend eligibility to over 4.1 million new patrons, the Department expects little to no impact on current patrons in most locations. There may be some impact in areas with a high cost of living, but the Department is preparing to accommodate all new patrons.

“These new privileges recognize the service and sacrifice of these veterans and those that care for them,” A.T. Johnston, deputy assistant secretary of defense for Military Community and Family Policy, said. “If you or someone you know might be eligible for these privileges, share the message,” Johnston said. "Please help us ensure these veterans and caregivers receive the privileges they've been granted.”

New patrons eligible solely under this authority should be aware that the law requires the Defense Department charge them a small user fee to offset the increased expense incurred by the Department of the Treasury for processing commercial credit or debit cards used for purchases at commissary stores.

The Department of Defense is finalizing the details for these new privileges with the Departments of Veterans Affairs, Homeland Security and the Treasury. Information will be announced soon regarding installation access and the authentication process for these privileges.

To learn more about the commissary, military exchange and MWR expansion, visit https://download.militaryonesource.m...fact-sheet.pdf.
    2016 Nitro Z21

The "Fact Sheet."
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2016 Nitro Z21

Did 21 years and love the benefits that were promised to me if I did 20 +, I have no issue with Purple heart recipients or POW's getting some of that too, But not for anyone because they served. They were aware of the deal before they served, its a contract, do 20 plus get stuff, don't and get less stuff.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

14. Member
    "They were aware of the deal before they served, its a contract, do 20 plus get stuff, don't and get less stuff."

It may have been that way in your life time but hundreds of thousands of young men were drafted in my time. You either serve or go to jail for not answering your draft notice. Thousands in the 60's and 70's were drafted and immediately shipped off to war, remember they did not get a choice about entering the military. You also need to remember that when we returned from duty in Southeast Asia, we didn't get the slap on the back, the media applauding us and organizations giving us free meals, homes, cars, etc. We were spit on, fruit and human waste thrown at us and foul language hurled at us. Different times and different situations.

I applaud anyone who served after Vietnam and appreciate the honor they receive for their time served. God Bless them.

Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    "They were aware of the deal before they served, its a contract, do 20 plus get stuff, don't and get less stuff."

It may have been that way in your life time but hundreds of thousands of young men were drafted in my time. You either serve or go to jail for not answering your draft notice. Thousands in the 60's and 70's were drafted and immediately shipped off to war, remember they did not get a choice about entering the military. You also need to remember that when we returned from duty in Southeast Asia, we didn't get the slap on the back, the media applauding us and organizations giving us free meals, homes, cars, etc. We were spit on, fruit and human waste thrown at us and foul language hurled at us. Different times and different situations.

I applaud anyone who served after Vietnam and appreciate the honor they receive for their time served. God Bless them.
    Appreciate your point of view and viet. Vets should not have been treated like that, however I served with some who stayed on and retired. Some switched to different services but still did there 20.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

16. Member
    Ok, some stayed on after the Vietnam war. But, the majority of the 2,215,000 that were drafted and deployed to Vietnam did not stay in the military. Those that were drafted were taken from jobs, college, out of high school and many other situations. When they completed their military requirements, they wanted to return home to their families, jobs, school, etc. The bad experiences they were exposed to during their draft status was deplorable. My uncle who returned from WWII with more medals and honors than movie generals on screen, told me if he had to go to Vietnam (which was not declared as a war by Congress) he would not go. He said the people, media and the government was disgraceful to the soldiers of that era. Does that disqualify them from respect, honor and benefits from the VA. I was told by a General I worked for that the pentagon brass did not want to extend any VA benefits to those that served during that era except those that were injured. The cost of passing on VA benefits that served was to costly and they were told to discourage those that were discharged to not apply for benefits because they would not be approved. I was also told by the personnel dept. on my day of discharge to not bother applying VA benefits because they were not extended to those that were not injured while in the military. I was also told by this same General that he was briefed at a Pentagon meeting by the joint chief of staff that more than 500,000 support personnel assigned to the Vietnam War as PCS/TDY (ships off the coast of Vietnam, Thailand, Guam and Okinawa) would not be extended Vietnam recognition. I worked with several aircrew members that were upset about this decision and got out of service when their time for re-enlistment was due. The military brass for years denied agent orange was ever used in Vietnam and support bases. Almost everyone that went to Southeast Asia knew that was a lie.

17. Member
    I ETS'ed from the Army in 1971 after serving two years. One thing I looked forward to was having VA health care as my primary or back up health care. I did not get around to registering for the VA until I retired in 2002 thinking the benefits would always be there. By that time, the Priority Group system was in place. It effectively prevented me from even registering. I still remember the look of profound regret and apology a VA staffer gave me at the Marion IL VA Center when she had to send me on my way.

That being said, I am lucky to have never needed the benefit. I do feel a little slighted by the fact that I was never allowed to register.

18. Member
    I ETS'ed from the Army in 1971 after serving two years. One thing I looked forward to was having VA health care as my primary or back up health care. I did not get around to registering for the VA until I retired in 2002 thinking the benefits would always be there. By that time, the Priority Group system was in place. It effectively prevented me from even registering. I still remember the look of profound regret and apology a VA staffer gave me at the Marion IL VA Center when she had to send me on my way.

That being said, I am lucky to have never needed the benefit. I do feel a little slighted by the fact that I was never allowed to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12