Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brushless Ultrex?

How soon before we see Minn Kota reengineer the Ultrex? It seems the brushless motors are a better design. Has anyone heard anything?

2. Member
    Maybe but I can’t see many being sold to guys who already own a ultrex. These motors are getting stupid expensive
    Nitro z21

While I'd like to see it, if Minn Kota ever did it, they would just end up adding another $1,000 to an already inflated price.
    Last edited by OBT; 09-06-2019 at 07:04 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

4. Banned
    Might depend on how well the Lowrance and Garmin sale.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Might depend on how well the Lowrance and Garmin sale.
    Lowrance won't work for me. One: Even more expensive. Two: To make it work I'd have to spend another $4000 upgrading my electronics. Ain't gona happen.

At least with the Minn Kota I can get the same results, spot lock wise and keep my perfectly functional Electronics.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bass Tard View Post
    Lowrance won't work for me. One: Even more expensive. Two: To make it work I'd have to spend another $4000 upgrading my electronics. Ain't gona happen.

At least with the Minn Kota I can get the same results, spot lock wise and keep my perfectly functional Electronics.

The lowrance will do the exact same stuff that the ultrex will do and unless you have the Link model, then you’re not really comparing the same thing. You don’t have to have Lowrance graphs for the spotlock to work and one video I saw said that all graphs will work with their transducer. But we will have to see when it is actually released about that one.

Expensive, no doubt; but I ordered one for $2549 and that’s cheaper than the Link model ultrex I believe.

7. Member
    I have an ultrex now. I would highly consider it. I have a small tin rig with a 25 hp motor . With a brushless motor I could down size my batteries saving weight .

The lowrance will do the exact same stuff that the ultrex will do and unless you have the Link model, then you’re not really comparing the same thing. You don’t have to have Lowrance graphs for the spotlock to work and one video I saw said that all graphs will work with their transducer. But we will have to see when it is actually released about that one.

Expensive, no doubt; but I ordered one for $2549 and that’s cheaper than the Link model ultrex I believe.
    Could be. The video I saw however listed maybe 4 Lowrance units (Newer models) that would work and specifically said the older ones, like my HDS 9 Gen 2 touch's, wouldn't and that you'd have to upgrade. See the 7:53 mark --

9. Banned
    Could be. The video I saw however listed maybe 4 Lowrance units (Newer models) that would work and specifically said the older ones, like my HDS 9 Gen 2 touch's, wouldn't and that you'd have to upgrade. See the 7:53 mark --

yes for the same capabilities that the ultrex link has, things like follow the contour, wypts from the graph, fancy stuff. The transducer will work with the older graphs and regular spotlock will work without new graphs. Basically what he is saying is that you cannot use our older graphs as the remote control for the TM. It will work the same as the regular ultrex does, will NOT work like the Link model ultrex, unless we have the newer graphs.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 09-08-2019 at 12:38 AM.

yes for the same capabilities that the ultrex link has, things like follow the contour, wypts from the graph, fancy stuff. The transducer will work with the older graphs and regular spotlock will work without new graphs. Basically what he is saying is that you cannot use our older graphs as the remote control for the TM. It will work the same as the regular ultrex does, will NOT work like the Link model ultrex, unless we have the newer graphs.
    Ah. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

11. Banned
    Ah. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

Too many functions and too high of a price tag on all of them!

Double post.
    Last edited by RazorCat; 09-08-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

S

That’s the video I saw, and the reason I’ll likely use price point as the deciding factor when I upgrade. My current HDS units work just fine. The Lowrance offers no value-add for me over an Ultrex at this point. Whatever brand TM I buy, I’ll replace electronics to match when I’m ready. The Motorguide is still looking like my best bet. I’ve seen a couple of reviews, but nothing on compatibility with older Low units, or how it compares to other offerings as far as noise or operation.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    S
    That’s the video I saw, and the reason I’ll likely use price point as the deciding factor when I upgrade. My current HDS units work just fine. The Lowrance offers no value-add for me over an Ultrex at this point. Whatever brand TM I buy, I’ll replace electronics to match when I’m ready. The Motorguide is still looking like my best bet. I’ve seen a couple of reviews, but nothing on compatibility with older Low units, or how it compares to other offerings as far as noise or operation.

It will likely be the same as ghost, they (MG) will have an adapter for the transducer and the fancy features won’t work. We have the part number for the gen2 Touch graphs, can’t find the cable yet though.

I have the ghost on order and paid $2549. My buddy ordered the Tour Pro and got it for $300 less than msrp. Hopefully mine will arrive when it’s supposed too and I will do a honest review. I have no sponsorships, so I will give the goods & bads about both motors. Tour Pro isn’t due out until early January though.

15. Member
    Curious as to power of the brushless? Brushless battery screw guns don’t have the same power.

16. Member
    Be careful what you ask for. I was at my local MK ASC shop. He services most brands. Just got back from school for some of the new motors and we were talking about. If you manage to hit something and get some water in one of the new motors, the brushless motors are not repairable. Buy another one.

Want to guess what that will cost?

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Be careful what you ask for. I was at my local MK ASC shop. He services most brands. Just got back from school for some of the new motors and we were talking about. If you manage to hit something and get some water in one of the new motors, the brushless motors are not repairable. Buy another one.

Want to guess what that will cost?

Well it can’t cost more than $3k.

18. Member
    Yes, but you can service a motor with brushes for a lot less, particularly if you can work on it your self.

19. Member
    Hear last night on Big Jim’s fishing live show that the brushless Ultrex is going be released sometime in June 2023

20. Member
    Yep there's a video on u tube on a new brushless mk, lets face it brushes are old time tech and mk will have to to compete in the future,and if its fishing and your just a poor boy this stuff is pricey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast