2005 198 hull with a 225 yamaha

Contemplating buying one. What the good and the bad about this hull? What could I expect as far as performance and ride characteristics? Have rode in Skeeter zx190, a Cobra 201, and a few rangers but never been in a champion. Thanks guys.

2. Banned
    Speeds 66-72mph. Boats a bit heavy, but rides pretty good and fishes good. Way, waaayyyyyy better ride than the Skeeter and yes, I used to own a Skeeter. Only complaint I have with mine is that you cannot see the gas tank (it’s under the seat), so you have to kind of guess on the fuel level. Gas gauge is meh. If you like it, you better jump on it, they sell fast usually, if the price isn’t insane anyways.

3. Member
    Blown motor and old electronics, plus it's been outside for while. They asking 10k

4. Member
    Take motor to Hydrotec in Nixa Missouri if you buy it. Have them put a phase kit when they rebuild it.

5. Member
    And a lot better ride than the others you mentioned!!!!!!

6. Banned
    Tough call, if you do a new re-power you’re looking at $20k more. It might shine back up with some elbow grease or might not. In really good shape they are selling for $20-$25k.

I’d definitely have hydro-tec work the motor if you decide to go that route (keeping the yami)

7. Member
    Is it a full composite hull or still have wood in it?

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by illinicobra View Post
    Is it a full composite hull or still have wood in it?

Composite transom and wood stringers.

9. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Composite transom. Boat is advertised as all composite. If it, or any Champ has wood stringers, etc it is encapsulated in fiberglass. If all drilled holes were properly sealed, it is a non-issue. Composite is simply a combination of materials, and can also be compromised. (Paper mache is a composite

HydroTec can rebuild that with a phase kit for 10k with a 1 year warranty and you'll have a speed rocket.

11. Member
    No brainer - buy it

Spent the last 10 years running a 198. It takes time to fully appreciate all that it does. When you have those moments (bad weather day, hitting a wake wrong, running across large chop) you will realize you made a great decision. You will also realize that pretty much every other boat you ever rode in sucks.

12. Member
    I am a 2005 198 owner. Everything original on the boat still in perfect working condition other than the old Yammy I had to replace in 2016. Still all original pumps, hoses, switches, wiring, fuses, carpet, seats, gauges, etc... Fuel gauge is a tad off but not too bad.

Best Bassboat you will ever drive or ride in...a true Cadillac on the water.

13. Member
    I owned one a 2006 with a 225 HPDI and it blew up but the boat was a great ride no complaints

14. Member
    I have rode in a couple and find nothing wrong with them. I would buy it and fix it. Especially if you are mechanically incline.