Do I repair or just spend time fishing?

So I bought another tin. I already have a 16 foot Sylvan that has been sitting for three years. I need to totally finish rebuilding it some day. Yep transom and floor shot. I pulled the transom and then decided to just buy my Skeeter.

However I have this lake just 5 miles from the house that is all electric. They don't permit and gas motors or even gas tanks on the lake. It's called the Quemahoning Resouvoir.

So I bough a older Alumnacraft that looks like the older Bass Trackers. The money was right. The boat floats but is a little rough. It came with a foot controlled Motor Guide Trolling Motor, transom mount Minn Lot a Trolling Motor and 15hp YAMAHA. Of course the transom is 100% shot. The trailer is like new though has old bald tires. He gave my one battery which is good.

Now getting back to the boat my intentions are to take off the YAMAHA and gas tank and use it mostly for the Que. Even though the transom is shot I think I can get by without rebuilding it. The floor btw are all good. I might sell the motor or maybe keep it to fish some of the limited powered Pa lakes.

I know if I repair the transom I will just do a complete rebuild. However that means the boat will not get on the water until at least mid summer of next year.

So what do you think? Should I just forgo any repairs and enjoy time on the Que or just accept that the boat will take a good year to fully rebuild. Note if the Slyvan is any indication of my free time it might also be setting half dismantled beside the Sylvan.

I knew I should have just bought a Kayak.

2. Member
    Fish...

3. Banned
    Just fish. As long as it don't sink don't worry about it.

Depends on what you enjoy more, fishing or working on your boats. You decide.
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

5. Banned
    Fish. I'd always be thinking about repairing it though.

6. Member
    I would fish it through the fall until you are finished for the year. Then I would start on the repairs.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

7. Member
    Fish. You already have one boat in the middle of a rebuild. You trying to start a collection of projects that won't get finished?

8. Member
    Well I'm going to fish. I took the 15hp Yamaha off today and took out the portable gas tank. I gave the bilge a deep cleaning so no gas or oil in it. The transom is bad not something I would want to hang a motor on. I mean it isn't going to fail but certainly would not be comfortable using a gas motor.

Replacing the transom is going to be a bigger project than the transom in the Sylvan. The Sylvan had all bolts this one is all rivets. Looking at it I think I can just take the back deck and frame out to get a new one in unfortunately this boat doesn't have a transom cap. The aluminum is one piece and formedover the top. This would mean cutting and welding.

In any event just the right boat for electric. The electric motor on the back doesn't stress the transom any either. Going to give it a try tomorrow.