OT (sort of) outboards

Just out of curiosity I’d like to know what some of you consider the best outboards in relation to longevity and reliability? Maybe a time frame where a certain model like a Vmax or Evinrude EFI really performed well. I posted here instead of a motor forum because quite simply a mercury forum is unlikely to say “an early 2000’s Yamaha” and vice versa.
    Sometime in the future I’m looking to sell my Triton tin and look for a used boat a little larger. So the info is of some benefit. And if I’m being honest anything from the early 2000’s up is an option. So an EFI motor is in play here too.
    Thanks ahead of time!
    Last edited by Judson1; 09-05-2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Typo
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Based on my experience, I would stay away from Optimax’s. I would look for a well maintained Yamaha VMax.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Banned
    I've had 2 mercs on 2 boats since 2004 and aside from impellers, they have been worry free

Yamaha F Series
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Mercury XR6 - I think 2005 was last year
    I have a 2001 90 HP Honda that has been bulletproof, bought new, 1000 hours and barely broken in

6. Member
    My brother is still running my 93 XR 6 Merc. Impellers and plugs is all that's been done to it.

Personally I stay away from pre 2001 Optimax motors, any Yamaha HPDI although 150s are pretty good, any Evinrude Ficht. I wont even consider a boat with any of those. Later Merc Oopti and ProXS are good.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Banned
    if talking 10 yrs old or older,.............anything Yamaha

Talking about motors older than 10 years.
    I would stay away from any DI motor of any brand.
    Stay away from the 97 - 01 OMC's (All of them.)

10. Member
    I have to keep my fingers crossed because I have really had good luck.

1983 Mariner 50 hp works never one problem - original owner
    1983 Mariner 9.9 hp works never one problem recarbed or what ever to 15hp - original owner
    1990 (unsure of actual age) Yamaha 15 hp works great - not original owner
    2011 Yamaha 250 SHO owned for 2 yrs never one problem has under 300 hrs.

Other then putting in new water impellers I have not put a dime in any of them. I will be listing everything but the 250 SHO for sale someday.

11. Member
    All those old Little Mariners had Yamaha power heads. Today Merc farms them out to China or Tohatsu.

My old Yamaha’s were darn near bulletproof. Then again so we’re my old Johnson’s. It wasn’t until my 2003 Johnson and their infamous heat soak issues that I left them.

Find one one you’re interested in and do a little googlefu. There is a ton of info out there on reliability. The old Merc XR series we’re pretty darn good as were the EFI’s. Of course the owner had to do their part.

12. Member
    I've had 2 Opti ProXS since 2012. The second one had an issue that was warranty repaired. I have been extremely pleased with them; however, I don't normally run more than 5000rpm. I will run WOT for a few minutes every trip. My warranty runs through 2023, so I'll replace with a 4s then.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Yamaha.... the grey ones....bulletproof.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Personally I stay away from pre 2001 Optimax motors, any Yamaha HPDI although 150s are pretty good, any Evinrude Ficht. I wont even consider a boat with any of those. Later Merc Oopti and ProXS are good.
    Have to agree with this. I had my opti just shy of 10 years and put 279 trouble free hours on it other than a broken dipstick in the oul tank which warranty covered. Other than that never seen the shop except to put carbon fiber reeds in upon my request. I maintained it to a t and it rewarded me for it. Like anything you get out of it what you out into it. My cousin had 700 trouble free hours on a 2004 200 opti. If you buy used get it checked out computer printouts and compression checked. I checked mine 120-122 psi all 3 cylinders. Still nice and healthy. Was confident it will run alot longer.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.