Rifle Peep Sights. Anyone use them?

Well, I went and tried to sight in my Marlin 336 and was not terribly crazy about the rear ramp sight. The front pin was hard to see, too but I'm going to put a dab of white paint on it and see how that works. Anyhow, the only way to adjust for windage on the stock sight is to tap it back and forth with a dowel and hammer. Not the best. Don't really want to put a scope on it yet. Any recommendations?
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

2. Member
    When I got out of the Army and got a job in MI in 1971 I decided to buy a rifle. Having qualified on the M14 and was used to shooting with a peep sight so had one installed on the Model 94 Winchester I purchased, I could shoot pretty well with it. To make target easier to acquire, I unscrewed the aperture a used its mounting hole for the peep. I think the sight was something like this one.
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...er-peep-sights

3. Member
    Heck yeah. I have used Lyman, Williams FP, and Skinner. The old all steel Lyman was the best but they are made from aluminum now and are not as good. The aluminum Williams FP is a great sight that adjust easily. Probably my sight of choice now. The skinner sight is rugged and good looking but the means of adjustment are not as good. Is your rifle drilled on the side of the receiver for a sight? Be aware that some sights mount using the holes on the side and some mount using the scope mount holes on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Heck yeah. I have used Lyman, Williams FP, and Skinner. The old all steel Lyman was the best but they are made from aluminum now and are not as good. The aluminum Williams FP is a great sight that adjust easily. Probably my sight of choice now. The skinner sight is rugged and good looking but the means of adjustment are not as good. Is your rifle drilled on the side of the receiver for a sight? Be aware that some sights mount using the holes on the side and some mount using the scope mount holes on the top.
    Thanks for the info. No it's not drilled on the side but is drilled on top of the receiver for a scope.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

5. Member
    I use a peep sight on my lever actions. I'm a fan of the Williams Fool Proof and the Ranger Point Precision peep sights.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S