Squam is......confusing.

So, finally got out on Squam recently. Never done it from my boat. Went really slow, wasn't really worried about hitting anything. But for the life of me I cannot understand where the damn fish are. Got two, on a jig and c-rig, but that was it. How the hell does anyone find fish there? It's all shallow-deep-shallow-deep.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

You gotta pick one.. shallow or deep .. not both

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chefdlh1972 View Post
    So, finally got out on Squam recently. Never done it from my boat. Went really slow, wasn't really worried about hitting anything. But for the life of me I cannot understand where the damn fish are. Got two, on a jig and c-rig, but that was it. How the hell does anyone find fish there? It's all shallow-deep-shallow-deep.
    Fished it for 15 years, and probably my best lake. Do you normally fish Deep for smallies or uptight for largemouth?

4. Member
    I'm with Jerry on this one, I generally stick shallow or deep, and I almost always fish deep out there. This time of the year, I'm looking 35 feet or deeper still for those smallies until the water temp drops a few more degrees.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    I'm with Jerry on this one, I generally stick shallow or deep, and I almost always fish deep out there. This time of the year, I'm looking 35 feet or deeper still for those smallies until the water temp drops a few more degrees.
    Keep going out. Start looking in the 50-65 foot range for SUSPENDING Smallmouth. Suspending in the 50-55ish depth. This is the time of year to have fun. Just Look for bait that deep, you'll find it !! The smallies will be around the bait not necessary in the bait. Try not to Fan cast that deep, most of the time it is wasted time. Target individual fish. Slow slow slow.
    Last edited by NitroVanDam; 09-07-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Damn, that's deep! I'll give it a try. Thanks guys!
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

7. Moderator
    Once you find them deep they can be easy to catch. Need to be able to read your electronics well also.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    Once you find them deep they can be easy to catch. Need to be able to read your electronics well also.
    Absolutely, you need to know what you are looking for and at.

9. Member
    So I had a tourney there today and I would say go deep. I dropshotted anywhere from 20-50 ft. Caught a ton of fish but most were 11 inches in length. Still caught some decent fish but man is there a ton of bait to compete against. Every fish was barfing up bait. Also the 30mph wind made video game fishing tough today.