Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

250pro xs loss of top end and rpm’s

2013 250 pro xs ser# 2B012044. 859 hrs. Ranger 520c 25p fury (prop was on it since new)
    last fall boat ran 73-75 fast forward to this spring boat will only run 68mph and rpm 5400-5500
    compression 100psi on all six. All reeds are good no cracks. Air box gasket was replaced after inspection of reeds. Power head was pulled to check gasket (replaced gasket). Adaptor was checked and tuner also was checked. Gaskets where replaced after checking. Thought we seen a spun cylinder sleeve with a bore scope so heads where pulled and all six are good. Gaskets where replaced. Checked vst for a cracked grommet on high pressure pump it was ok. Checked small grommet on return line and it was ok. Pulled the tracker valve and it’s fine. Tried a new crank sensor today and it didn’t help. Motor has been too two different mercury mechanics and still not running right. So I turn to bbc for help.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

Throttle opening all the way
    Drain and inspect gear lube
    Fuel/air pressures as WOT
    Elevation
    Got poles
    how's it loaded
    Doubt you will ever see 6100 RPM with that prop set at correct engine height
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    also add "added ultrex to the bow" (this has a surprising effect I've heard)
    if prop is 6 years old... is it still in good shape?
    has it been a hotter year in Ohio this year?
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

4. Member
    Tps shows 100% open on mercury tech laptop at wot
    gear lube looks good and is changed twice a year.
    I’m not sure on fuel and air pressure. Hoping to check them this weekend
    we are in southern Ohio and I’ve always lived here.
    i have poles and they have been on since it was new.
    Boat isn’t loaded with much tackle. I keep it on a strict diet of baits that work on that lake or river.
    Ive never seen 6100rpm most I’ve seen was 5850. Prop was my original thought on loss of speed so it was sent to mark and put back to stock.

Boat does have a ultrex but it’s two years old so I had good speed with it on last fall.
    We have had a hot summer but my problem started or was noticed in the first week of March this year. So humidity wasn’t a factor then.

Quickleen every tank I hope
    With that many hours I would pull the rails and send them to European Marine to be evaluated
    check the Air/fuel pressures including the low pressure at wide open while it is misbehaving, if you have a fuel starvation problem it will show up by pressures starting to fall off a little as more fuel is required. Be sure you have that 14 psi spread at all times between air and fuel
    After that I would revaluate and consider a 24 Fury, would be better to get the RPM up to about 6100 under ideal conditions, 5800 to 5900 all the time
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    As above. If you haven't been running quickleen every tank you will lose power.
    And with that many hours, injectors could be getting weak, making it go rich. When the injectors start getting weak, the internal spring doesn't close them fast enough, so you go rich, losing power.
    And it being a hot summer, 2 to 3 MPH loss would be normal for the weather.

7. Member
    I have been running quickleen in the motor every tank. I talked to Don about the injector service but he is three months out right now so I’m hope this winter to have it done. I have a brand new 25p tempest to try Saturday on the river. I’ll do my best to get the fuel and air pressure. I’ll report back. Thanks for your help.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you inspected your jackplate to make sure it is "square" (not skewed), RETORQUED the engine fasteners, and inspected your Striker Plates for ANY wear or grooves?

Not uncommon to see several degrees of lost trim between the above items. Also, if you have a friend with a KNOWN-GOOD (unaltered) prop, see if you can borrow it for a run.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Ok I couldn’t get fuel/air pressure due to the guy didn’t bring his gauges. I’ll try and get them ASAP.
    Don I looked at the striker plates and they do look warm and pitied at the top. I’m going to get a new set today and replace. Also I will re-torque all eight bolts. Is there a way to check the jack plate.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A "rough" check is to measure the thickness of the plate at the top, and the bottom. With a very few exceptions- it "should" be the same measurement.

Not uncommon to see plates "skew" to where they are 1/8" or more tall at the top (as compared to the bottom). Some plates are designed (mechanically) to resist this (one example being z-lock).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I’m so here’s where Iam now. Over the weekend I ran a new 24fury. Boat hits 70mph and stops you can get the rpms to come up by raising jp that was Saturday. Then on Sunday I ran a fairly new 25 fury in very good shape. It hits 70 mph and stops. Raise the jp and the boat slows down. I just got the new stoker plates today and will try them soon. I’m starting to think the motor is fine and I have a hull or trim/ crocked motor. I will be checking Motor to see if it’s square tonight when I install the new striker plates.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back... be a good idea to run YOUR 25P Fury, and the one that hit 70 MPH (back to back) for comparison.

Be interesting to hear the results....

13. Member
    You should be more concerned about WOT LOADED RPM, than MPH. If the RPM is were it should be, with a known good prop, then the speeds will follow suite.

14. Banned
    I also have a 2013 250 serial-1B976062 and experiencing almost the identical issue. Do you have the part number for the striker plates and where did you order them? Mine are indented pretty bad and I have noticed on the gauge trimming higher than before.

15. Member
    I got them at my local authorized dealer and you can also order them from Rhonda at European Marine. they are 11 bucks each. Part # 8M0045383 but make sure it’s the same part for yours. I also checked last night to if the motor is square to the pad. It’s 1/16” lower on one side I don’t really think that could slow the boat down. I’ll be testing both props again Sunday and report back.

16. Banned
    Awesome thank you!

17. Member
    Update new striker plates are on ran both props again same load same river. Boat actually slowed down top speed now is only 67.5. I ran close to five miles playing with trim and jackplate nothing changed speed wise.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Generator View Post
    Update new striker plates are on ran both props again same load same river. Boat actually slowed down top speed now is only 67.5. I ran close to five miles playing with trim and jackplate nothing changed speed wise.
    Damnnn was hoping for better news

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    How recent is your fuel purchase, and what grade/octane?

You mentioned "both props"- I saw a 25P Fury in the original post, have you tried another?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    How recent is your fuel purchase, and what grade/octane?

You mentioned "both props"- I saw a 25P Fury in the original post, have you tried another?
    Sorry I ran two different props last weekend. One was a 25 fury three blade the other was a 24fury three blade.both are known good props with less than 20 hrs and no damage. Both hit 70 and stopped. That’s going down stream on the river. Running up river they would only hit 67 mph. Fishing the Ohio river I get fuel almost every morning before going fishing and not always from the same gas station. I’ve run 87 octane with merc quick kleen #1 and #2 each time it gets fuel.

Now last sat night I got to run the boat on the water with mercury air/fuel gauges. At idle I was 110psi on fuel and 100psi on air. Ran the boat with gauges and pressure never changed at any speed from idle to wide open throttle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast