Question A story with a question

As a youngster in the 1950's I followed my Father around the mountains of North Georgia deer hunting. Deer hunting was just starting to recover from being almost wiped out in the 30's and 40's. To my point and question a few times I spooked a grouse out from under my feet. I have never forgotten it! It was awesome! I will be 75 in December and have been fortunate to fish and hunt a good many places in my life but never killed a grouse or experienced a grouse flush. I went to North Georgia grouse hunting once ( I live in North Alabama now) but never saw one. There are very few in Georgia.
    Is there a public area that you would recommend where I could walk a few logging roads or trails with a fair chance of killing a grouse? Or maybe a grouse guide that would take me hunting for 3-4 hour trips for a couple or 3 days? I would be happy if I could experience 2 or 3 flushes and I believe I could kill one if I can get a decent shot.
    I know this is a long shot but would anyone be interested in trading trips? You take me grouse hunting and I will take you fishing on either Wheeler, Guntersville, Pickwick or Smith?
    Thanks for reading and any suggestions!

2. Member
    I've spooked quite a few walking the woods deer hunting in Southern Wi. It stops ones heart for a second when your trying to be quiet walking into the woods looking for deer.
    We have a good lot of public land near us, but I don't know much of grouse, I'll ask some pheasant people I know if they could give some insight, when are you going to be in the State?
    Cheese County Bass Club

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Umckibben View Post
    I've spooked quite a few walking the woods deer hunting in Southern Wi. It stops ones heart for a second when your trying to be quiet walking into the woods looking for deer.
    We have a good lot of public land near us, but I don't know much of grouse, I'll ask some pheasant people I know if they could give some insight, when are you going to be in the State?
    Nothing planned at the moment. I have 1 lead to a possible trip in Michigan. The Michigan possibility came from a friend just minutes ago. I should know something on it next week.

Where I deer hunt in far Northern WI is a bit of a grouse mecca! PM me your email address and I can share with you some satellite images of some good roads/areas that produce for me...I don't hunt with a dog and get my share of opportunities as a very casual grouse hunter. This is up in Forest County, WI in the Nicolet National Forest BTW
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Where I deer hunt in far Northern WI is a bit of a grouse mecca! PM me your email address and I can share with you some satellite images of some good roads/areas that produce for me...I don't hunt with a dog and get my share of opportunities as a very casual grouse hunter. This is up in Forest County, WI in the Nicolet National Forest BTW
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

6. Member
    I have a cabin in the north woods in grouse country. PM me