Soaking Soft Plastics

I haven’t soaked any soft plastics in attractant before but I’m curious if a lot of you do this? Does this have any affect on the plastic or the bait integrity? What attractant are you using? Any issues with some of the different plastics out there (ie zman or GYCB ect) ?

2. Member
    A few guys in the club I used to fish would a sandwich bag filled with Kinami and GYB senkos, then spray bang garlic scent in it and leave it on the deck. They say it helps the scent stay on longer
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Banned
    I used to soak/add JJ clear to my soft plastics. Scented them up and made them more slippery....and also made a big mess in the tub i kept them in. That JJs will find a way out.

I honestly dont think the baits can truly absorb scent. I think they have to be made with the scent in them already to really be a difference. kinda like powerbait stuff, and keitech and strike king with their coffee. the scent needs to be part of the pouring process to be effective.

If you want something...MegaStrike is pretty handy and wont make a mess. Should help scent it and mask the human smell if you think that helps.

JJ's soaks in right away, I've got baits that got the stuff and were fished, sat on the deck for weeks, fished some more, and had to be tossed that still smelled strongly of it.

I know that JJ's will destroy Z-Man stuff, for whatever that's worth. I've read about it destroying other stuff too, so I would be cautious soaking it. I did hear on BTL last year (and it was discussed on this board briefly), I think from Stephen Browning, that JJ's can dye Z-Man stuff if you put them both in the freezer first. Haven't tried it, but that'd be pretty cool if so!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    I believe that if you have baits in a bag and spray scent into the bag it helps. I have sprayed some in bags, some more than others and it seems to soften the baits and lighten the color some if more spray is used, but I do not believe it affects the performance of the bait. If only from a confidence stand point, I will continue to spray baits because i BELIEVE it helps.

I can tell you that ZOOM plastics survive Bioedge Crayfish Potion long term with no issues. Good oil for storage, and maybe get a few extra strikes, who knows for sure. I squirt a small amount in the bag and zip closed. Just enough to coat.

Buy some of that catfish bait cubes in shad or crawfish and put a couple of cubes in the bags, I swear that stuff will permeate steel.

Berkley GULP! Crawfish scent. Spray it in your bag of plastics. When putting things away in the fall, I always respray each bag and let it soak in over the winter.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    JJ's soaks in right away, I've got baits that got the stuff and were fished, sat on the deck for weeks, fished some more, and had to be tossed that still smelled strongly of it.

I know that JJ's will destroy Z-Man stuff, for whatever that's worth. I've read about it destroying other stuff too, so I would be cautious soaking it. I did hear on BTL last year (and it was discussed on this board briefly), I think from Stephen Browning, that JJ's can dye Z-Man stuff if you put them both in the freezer first. Haven't tried it, but that'd be pretty cool if so!
    Never in the freezer just room temp when I use JJ and zman products they havent been destroyed trd zinkerz fineessez craws. Maybe a skirt type zman havent tried but a solid seems to be fine.

I think the reason you're not having issues there is the thickness of those baits. The ones I've personally dissolved are Hula Stickz with the "skirt style" tail exactly like you mention, and Turbo Crawz claws (basically Z-man's version of a speed craw). The common thread there is definitely thin appendages though, so really good point that it will work on some stuff!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

11. Member
    Unless the scent you're using is water soluble, the fish will never smell or taste it anyway.

12. Member
    So which are water soluble?

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Unless the scent you're using is water soluble, the fish will never smell or taste it anyway.

13. Member
    be careful some of that stuff will stiffen the baits

14. Member
    The more I use attractant the less I use on each individual bait. I like all the ones listed above and the Biffle stuff is good too. Each bottle has some of Tommy Biffles personal DNA in it. Not sure how they extract it from him who knows, but my point is if I’m sitting behind Aunt Bonnie in church and she’s slathered on the perfume it’s almost breath taking.....toooo much ! However if you pass a smokin hot chic in the mall and you catch “The scent of a Woman” where she has apparently put on just enough, man it’s soooo nice !

15. Member
    I have always squirted a little Kick-N-Bass into my packaged plastics. It adds the sent, keeps the plastics soft and slick and best of all gives me confidence that the fish will eat them.