Thread: Z 20 rod boxes

Z 20 rod boxes

2019 z20, is anyone having issues with your rod boxes getting water in them? I'm talking about enough to soak the carpet and everything in it. Didn't realize the boxes were wet and every thing molded when I left it for repairs. Since then it rained over the weekend and the boxes got soaked again. Is there supposed to be a seal on the glass around the rod boxes?
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS
    2019 nitro z20, mercury pro xs 250 four stroke

2. Member
    I have the same boat and have fished in some pretty hard rains but so far my lockers have stayed dry. I have had water get in the compartment between the seats. I also had some get into the rear storage lockers and I drilled some holes on the bottom of the totes so water could drain out in the future. I have read where people have adjusted the latches to allow the doors to close tighter and that help.

Yes- as the carpet wears in around the latches and the bottom of the doors they get loose and water can seal around. The fix- open the doors, tighten the hardware that holds the latches to the door. Then make the latch lock a bit tighter. (I have a z8, I have compression latches, I am not positive yours are compression type)
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Yes- as the carpet wears in around the latches and the bottom of the doors they get loose and water can seal around. The fix- open the doors, tighten the hardware that holds the latches to the door. Then make the latch lock a bit tighter. (I have a z8, I have compression latches, I am not positive yours are compression type)
    The disappointing thing it was this way since I picked it up 3 months ago
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS
    2019 nitro z20, mercury pro xs 250 four stroke

5. Member
    Yes - exact same problem with my rod locker. I might try removing the latch, trimming the carpet a smidge, then re-attaching the latch and tightening the latch lock. Hopefully this will fix it.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twise7 View Post
    Yes - exact same problem with my rod locker. I might try removing the latch, trimming the carpet a smidge, then re-attaching the latch and tightening the latch lock. Hopefully this will fix it.
    I had to do this with every lid on my Z21.